MC issue - need help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am facing an issue with my newly installed DL 103 cartridge. I use Musical Fidelity VLPS as phone and having issues while playing music. Whenever there is a loud passage of both the ends of band, the sound distorts heavily when I feed the cartridge through VLPS MC input. This is a low out cartridge but it seems working with MM input with noticeable gain and without having any greyness in sound like it played with MC input. Not sure where could be the issue. Is it the impedance (by looking at the specs of the cartridge and phone, this seems matching), cable capacitance (use the stock Pro-ject cable of the TT) or something else with the cartridge or the phono? Need help from someone to throw an idea of a starting point to troubleshoot. I am a novice to this subject hence need some value opinion. Thanks.

Kanishka

The 103 is extremely unlikely to overload any MC input. Nor is loading impedance all that important - it plays tolerably well even in zero ohms, although most people seem to prefer much higher values. Still, this is not a reason for distortion. What can actually cause distortion is either poor alignment/tracking force or a defective MC input.

Thanks for the replies. Tracking force I have set to 2.5g as it mentioned in the cartridge instructions. Even I am now tend to think that this may an issue with my phone MC input rather than the cartridge. I tried a different MC cartridge today and it gave a similar result. I will try 103 with some other phono stage and see whether the same result appear just to isolate the issue.

I own also a DL103 but mine is R, wich tonearm do you have? do you have an Arc Potractor to do the alignement?

I used both the Enjoythemusic protractor and Project cartirdge alignment tool. It is a basic Pro-ject 8, 6 tonearm comes with the table. Nothing fancy. Not sure whether this cartridge is the right choice for this medium complience arm, but many have said in forums that this should work without an issue.

It is a basic Pro-ject 8, 6 tonearm comes with the table. Nothing fancy. Not sure whether this cartridge is the right choice for this medium complience arm, but many have said in forums that this should work without an issue.

It's not the best choice, based on my experience with the 103's. Are you stuck on using LOMC's? Lots of other cartridges on the market.

jeff

Better to do a Salas Simplistics NJFET Phono RIAA

Happy Christmas

For HOMC you could try Denon DL-110 or DL-160 (now OOP), Dynavector 10x5.

For MM try Ortofon 2M Blue or OM30 if you can find one. I heard a 2M Red on an Xpression III and thought the treble was a little nasty.

jeff

Merry Xmas Everyone..Ho..Ho..Ho :D

Merlin, I already ordered the components and waiting to build Salas phono.

Thanks Jeff, I will try one if I could get hold of one of those cartridges. Probably DL 110 which I thought of getting earlier.

Seems a bit light for that Denon cart. what you posted earlier may be due to the arm mass not being able to control the cart. That mass would be more suited to a high compliance cart of say 20-30. Have you run this across a test record to find the arm/cart resonate level?

Marc

Unfortunately I don't have a test record at the moment. Is there any other way to check this out?

Finally I workaround the issue completely by connecting the pin3 and 4 of SSM2210 dual matched npn on the MC path with 1 meg resistor. Not sure whether this is the right thing to do but it seems just elevating the voltage to pin 3 by few mili valts. Purely a trial and error mod without considering anything else. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.