My 1980's Tangential Tone Arm and my 2010 improvement - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2013, 05:08 AM   #131
diyAudio Member

Default Hello kach22i

In case you will not be able to read the entire thread; in the early eighties I designed and built a tangentially tracking servo controlled tone arm which functioned correctly. Being servo controlled, it was accurate to 0.1.
It was always my dream to design a tone arm that functioned without a servo, and so in 2010 I designed a new version of my tone arm which was driven by the frictional drag force of the rotating LP. It worked, but was not accurate.
In 2012 I decided to add an electronic servo to my tone arm and I built two prototypes. In the process I made what I believe to be a revolutionary invention which allows 100% accurate tangential tracking. The fact that it is an invention, prevents me from doing what you are suggesting: make a video and put it on U-Tube. Applying for a patent is out of the question at the moment and so I will have to keep it to myself for the time being.
I don’t have a design for the electronic servo as of yet and I play LPs by nudging the tone arm’s carriage along with my finger. That allows me to sit down and listen for about 30 seconds before I have to get up and correct the carriage position. However, the tone arm never goes out of tangency!

The following is a quote from Mr. Conrad Hoffman whom I met on DIY Audio:
IMO, the big gain is actually not the elimination of tracking error, though that's what everybody thinks. The real gain is eliminating cartridge offset/angle and thus the battle of dynamic forces that occurs on the cantilever”
Sincerely,
Ralf

Last edited by Straight Tracker; 22nd April 2013 at 05:11 AM.
Old 29th April 2013, 01:08 AM   #132
kach22i is offline kach22i  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Tracker View Post
The fact that it is an invention, prevents me from doing what you are suggesting: make a video and put it on U-Tube. Applying for a patent is out of the question at the moment and so I will have to keep it to myself for the time being.
I understand - at least a little bit.

I'm under the impression that a US Patent costs at least $30,000 in lawyer fees, and an International Patent runs about $300,000. In the end, all it gives you is the right to sue people, a drawn out and expensive venture which causes many small companies to go under.

On top of it all, the places most likely to copy (China) will not respect Patents.
Old 29th April 2013, 05:45 AM   #133
diyAudio Member

Default Hello kach22i

I should elaborate on the patent situation.
Under US patent law you have a grace period of one year from the date of making your invention "public" before you have to apply for patent. Under european patent law, you loose your right to apply for patent immediately upon making the invention "public". Putting the invention on U-Tube or into DIYAUDIO, is considered making the invention "public".
I patented my first tonearm by prosecuting the patent application myself.
I could do that again but would have to restudy the patent laws because they have changed considerably since the eighties.
There is an advantage to making an invention "public" and that is, that it prevents everyone else from patenting the invention in their name.
You are absolutely right when you say that owning a patent only gives you the right to sue.
Your reply helped me in making up my mind as to what to do next.
It will take until the end of 2013 to finish the servo design and then the tone arm will be ready to produce. At that point I will custom make it myself or license it to an established manufacturer. So, if the tone arm is available for sale at the same time it is made "public", I may not matter whether it is patented or not.
Of course there is the possibility that the day I announce the tone arm to be available for sale, will be declared "National HO-HUM Day" in the US.

Sincerely,

Ralf

Last edited by Straight Tracker; 29th April 2013 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Grammar

Hide this!Advertise here!