My 1980's Tangential Tone Arm and my 2010 improvement - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2013, 02:47 PM   #121
reneb is offline reneb  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Nice work

I have not seen this thread until now, I'll join those who have already commented positively on the innovative thinking and very nice workmanship.
Very impressive, I hope you can work out the remaining issues.

Old 7th April 2013, 08:31 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

Default Hello reneb

Thank you for your positive comments.

My original 1980s tonearm, employed TTL logic circuits for the servo control. I understand that much better than micro controllers. I could use TTL logic control for my present tonearm but I would like to use a more modern approach if possible.

My dream is to finish the tonearm by the end of 2013 and get some manufacturer of Hi-Fi components to demonstate it at the 2014 CES in Las Vegas.

Sincerely,

Ralf
Old 8th April 2013, 06:25 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

Thank you for bringing your tonearm to the attention of the diyAudio community. To me Hi Fi and the diy community are all about sharing and sharing
ideas. Projects that advance the state of the art are welcome. Even if they
do not they are welcome!

Suggestions: On technical issues ask for help here. Name that tonearm. When
your tonearm is finally completed have somebody competent review it. Consider the following places to feature the review. diyAudio, AudioCircle, Audio Asylum, Vinyl Engine, AudioKarma, 6 moons, Positive-feedback, Enjoy the Music,
Audiogon, TNT-Audio and many more. Please share your tonearm whatever you
call it with the world.
Old 8th April 2013, 09:58 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Maybe an idea.
You can mesure de rotating angle of the arm, the length of the wand is an exact function of that angle.
Am I wrong ?
Old 9th April 2013, 09:24 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

Default Hello Arch Stanton

No, you are not wrong.

Measuring the rotation of the tonearm could be done with an encoder.
There are several ways to construct a servo. The one I have chosen utilizes a Hall Effect sensor and a rare earth magnet. That worked well for me in the 1980s version of my tonearm. I am currently looking at designing the servo using a micro controller. I am thinking of learning to program micro controllers. There is a lot of online help available.

Sincerely,

Ralf
Old 17th April 2013, 06:10 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

Hi I only recently found your thread - your Ideas are interesting and well presented - and I must join with others in saying you have designed a BEAUTIFUL Tonearm !!!
I hope things are going well ,and that you are able to find backers or someone who will produce it !
I am looking forward to it's success -
Sincerely,
Dean
Old 20th April 2013, 07:16 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

Default For hallcon83

Hello Dean,
Attached, please find a drawing of the angular relationships you requested.
For the vertical angle of lift, in my own tone arm, Iuse 1.39 which represents a height of .200” at a tone arm length of 8.250”. I would not make it less than that but I have seen as much as .500”
Sincerely,
Ralf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SME_SERIES_1_GEOMETRY.pdf (17.0 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Straight Tracker; 20th April 2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: trying to correct weird font sizes
Old 21st April 2013, 09:10 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Hi Ralf - Thank you for the information - so if a newbie is looking at this right a maximum of about 36 degrees of horizontal movement should be safe ..... - Thank You for your help!
Sincerely,
Dean
Old 21st April 2013, 11:04 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Default Hello Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallcon83 View Post
a maximum of about 36 degrees of horizontal movement should be safe ...
That's correct. That angle is based on the effective length of the SME 2009 series 1 tone arm which I got from www.vinylengine.com
If the effective length of your tone arm is considerably shorter or longer, then that angle would increase or decrease respectively. But not much.

Sincerely,

Ralf

Last edited by Straight Tracker; 21st April 2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: correct tiny mistake
Old 21st April 2013, 11:36 PM   #130
kach22i is offline kach22i  United States
diyAudio Member

I haven't gone though the entire thread, but think it could be valuable to produce a video showing the arm in action using time lapse.

An incredible project, bravo.

Hide this!Advertise here!