My 1980's Tangential Tone Arm and my 2010 improvement - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2011, 09:58 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfcooke View Post
No update since August, please don't keep us in suspense; does it work as a 'passive' device? or have you added a servo?
Hello ralphfcooke,
Hello to everyone who has been wondering,

I had to temporarily stop working on my Tone Arm because of financial reasons. It is not easy to support a project like this when you're retired on a fixed income. But I'll get it done "come Hell or high water"

I've since started to have doubts, that the friction drive will work properly. I think that it can be tuned to work with a particular record but may have to be retuned for the next record which may have a different composition of vinyl etc.

When I built the 2010 version of my Tone Arm, I allowed for the inclusion of a stepping motor, lead screw and associated components to drive the carriage. I actually already have the motor. It is made by Portescap and is 10mm in diameter.

During the time I could not do any physical work on my Tone Arm, I did plenty of work in my CAD program relating to the possible inclusion of a servo drive. Thinking and CAD work doesn't cost any money. You can do that all day long.

All the linear tracking Tone Arms I know, that use an electronic servo system, require that the Tone Arm pivots slightly out of true tangency in order to trigger the servo. Even though the error is so small that even a "golden ear" could not hear the resulting distortion, someone will say: "well, it's not perfect"

During my recent thinking period, I came up with a method to produce the electrical signal to trigger the servo without the Tone Arm loosing tangcy!
That change can be built into the existing prototype. Needless to say, I am extremely excited over that developement.

So, hopefully I'll have more to report soon.

Sincerely,

Ralf

Last edited by Straight Tracker; 7th October 2011 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Missing comma :-)
Old 7th October 2011, 10:38 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

From one Ralph to another (ignoring small spelling differences), thanks for the reply and I look forward to future revelations.
Old 7th October 2011, 11:36 PM   #103
lowpoke is online now lowpoke  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to lowpoke
Thanks for the update Ralf, I'm sure many are following this project with interest. I know I have been!
Old 8th October 2011, 08:24 PM   #104
gninnam is offline gninnam  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Looking forward to the next phase and hope the money side works out
Old 15th November 2011, 11:07 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Any updates?
Old 17th November 2011, 05:06 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

Default Hello audiostar

I expect to go back to work on my Tone Arm starting Monday, November 21, 2011. I have temporaryly solved my financing problem. As I wrote earlier, I continued to work on my Arm in my CAD program and worked on future designs.

Sincerely,

Ralf
Old 24th December 2011, 08:45 PM   #107
gninnam is offline gninnam  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Tracker View Post
I expect to go back to work on my Tone Arm starting Monday, November 21, 2011. I have temporaryly solved my financing problem. As I wrote earlier, I continued to work on my Arm in my CAD program and worked on future designs.

Sincerely,

Ralf
Hope you are having a good Christmas Holiday.

Andy news Ralf ?
Old 25th December 2011, 10:03 PM   #108
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Keep us informed. Merry christmas
Old 28th December 2011, 02:21 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

My goodness that is a fine piece of work.
Old 13th June 2012, 09:58 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

Default I'm baack

Hello Everyone,

Between now and next Monday, I'll write a description of the drastic changes I've made to my Tone Arm and post a few new pictures too.

Sincerely,

Ralf

Hide this!Advertise here!