First Turntable For Me? Technics-1200? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2010, 04:58 PM   #1
T101 is offline T101  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Default First Turntable For Me? Technics-1200?

It would be my first Turntable, so I'm very excited

I know nothing of turntables!

I'm searching for a turntable... more of that I'm not actually searching, but considering to buy Technics 1200...
The guys from the local Dynacord store (here it is a major retailer of PA, musicians electronics and hardware) recommended it to me. And the more I read, the more I understand that they were very modest in their expression about that turntable.

I understand that 1200 is kind of a myth or a cult. I also understand that the needed cartridge is Audio Technica of almost any kind...

Sorry that the topic does not present a very good material for discussions, but I need to know if there are some underwater stones, or specific recommendations. Kind of reassuring needed.

How it should be kept? What care does it need except the 2 drops of oil every 2000 hours? Which cartridge should I choose? - On the cartridges I have decided that I'll buy a cheap one first in order to experiment and learn with it and considering the very probable ruining of it...

I am able to purchase through them many cartridges - Shure, Ortophone, Stanton, Numark and others

Am I right that the bigger price of MK5 is due to options that I don't need
Musicworld.bg - TECHNICS SL-1210 M5G
There is a cheaper MK5
Musicworld.bg - TECHNICS SL-1210 MK5

So I should buy MK2, but there are two MK2's and there is difference in the price
A more expencive black one Musicworld.bg - TECHNICS SL-1210 MK2

And a cheaper silver one
Musicworld.bg - TECHNICS SL-1200 MK2

Which one?

If there is difference in the tone arm that makes better sound?
Also it seems that only the more expensive MK5G has wiring with oxygen free copper which is stated to improve bass? Is it worth the $220 difference?

But first question - I'm not going to regret buying it am I?

Best regards to all and thank you in advance for the answers!

Last edited by T101; 30th November 2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 30th November 2010, 05:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Are you going to DJ?
If not, there are much better tables
for home use, especially for that kind of money.
Old 30th November 2010, 05:24 PM   #3
T101 is offline T101  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Only for home use... From what I read on the net there shouldn't be any turntables beating it's parameters at that modest to low price for a turntable.

I look at the wow, flutter and rumble figures - nothing else sounds familiar and comparable to me.

Edit: the price of the cheaper MK2 here is about 870$ without a cartridge. And the most expensive MK5G is 1180$

Last edited by T101; 30th November 2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 30th November 2010, 05:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number13 View Post
Are you going to DJ?
If not, there are much better tables
for home use, especially for that kind of money.
Ditto.

However, kind of sounds like you have your mind made up. If you just need to justify buying one, go ahead. They are very durable turntables IMHO. You should have no problems selling it if you choose not to keep it thought.

Old 30th November 2010, 07:51 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Let me 3rd that... no direct drives for me, a less expensive well setup belt-drive is better IMO.

The arms on these are good thou... when i parted one of those TTs out, i kept the arm and plan on using it on a 2-armed Franken-Linn project (free inner platter/bearing, it won't be suspended)

I bet a Pro-Ject turntable for half the money should eat it for breakfast (made in Czech Republic (?) Pro-Ject will have the advantage of much less imbedded shipping & taxes). The money saved can be put into cartridge & phono-preamp

dave
Old 30th November 2010, 08:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T101 View Post
Edit: the price of the cheaper MK2 here is about 870$ without a cartridge. And the most expensive MK5G is 1180$
Wow! I would look for a used MKII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Pro-Ject turntable for half the money should eat it for breakfast
It's the other way 'round for the Debut III. The Xpression III was a little better, but had a very annoying spitty treble presentation, which I'll blame on the Ort. 2M Red that was on it.

jeff
Old 30th November 2010, 08:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
Wow! I would look for a used MKII.

jeff
Ouch! Those prices are definitely a no go for a new 1200. I am not surprised, but hopefully you can find a much better deal elsewhere.
Old 30th November 2010, 08:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
no direct drives for me, a less expensive well setup belt-drive is better IMO
Why? From what I have read the Technics 1200 is one of the best, if not the best, DD turntable available. I would be surprised that a cheaper Pro-Ject or Rega belt drive platter would be better. Also not having to worry about replacing belts and being able to set the correct speed is appealing.
Old 30th November 2010, 08:53 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You'll find very mixed opinions on the SL1200 -- almost like tubes vrs transistors. I'd take my poorman's Rega over Jeff's 1200 any day (i think he considers it his beater, the Linn LP12 being his main TT). That was cemented at this year's diyFEST after getting a chance to listen to a modern one.

The best direct drives are likely made by Brinkman & Grand Prix Audio.

dave
Old 30th November 2010, 09:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'd take my poorman's Rega over Jeff's 1200 any day
I have one of those and I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade it or buy something else

Quote:
That was cemented at this year's diyFEST after getting a chance to listen to a modern one.
Hmm.... missed that. Must have happened after I left

Hide this!Advertise here!