First Turntable For Me? Technics-1200? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2010, 09:06 PM   #31
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

T101
Now you have your turntable you should spend some time setting it up. Regardless of which turntable you have it will perform better on a non resonant support.
I see that you have your record deck on a wooden table. Does this table sit on a solid floor or a suspended floor?
If you have a suspended floor, then you should try a wall mounted shelf. Make sure that the wall is a solid supporting wall.
If the floor is solid then a dedicated table for the record player is fine. I found that I got best results with a technics SL1200 when I used slabs of stone 75mm thick underneath, supported by a steel frame table.
If you need convincing then firstly find a small table the size of your record player, and use some cheap 450mm paving slabs underneath the deck. I have used 2 paving slabs separated with 5 blobs of Blutak. Support the slabs with 3 coins for a cheap upgrade! This costs very little to try especially when compared to the price of the record deck.
Also I would suggest for serious listening the plastic lid should be removed.
The SL1200 is very responsive to the way it is supported. If you try some different options within your listening room you may be surprised by the results!
Old 7th December 2010, 10:24 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

For the money it costs here (ca 480) there is nothing out there that comes close to the SL1200.

Lest we forget Technics designed it NOT to be a DJ deck but to be the second best HiFi deck in their range (the top was the legendary SL1000/SP10). It just happened that DJs took a liking to it 8 years after its introduction and thanks to them it is still being produced.
Old 7th December 2010, 11:37 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Good to hear you have taken the plunge. As advised above, take the time to do a proper cartridge alignment (good tool at Vinyl Engine is Technics Baerwald Protractor) give your albums a thorough cleaning and brush your stylus after each play. Now sit back & enjoy the sound of analog!
Old 8th December 2010, 12:39 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Guys, may i recommend you to go to this forum?

Vinyl Engine | The Home of the Turntable

It's THE forum for discussing LP records and playback gear, and you'll find many answers. As for the OP, i too would recommend the Technics SL-1200.

I would not really recommend the Regas, since they're a bit overpriced IMHO.

The best option is to go for a used unit, but for that, you need to know pretty well what is a good turntable and what isn't, and the potential things that could be broken. It helps if you are a DIY !!
Old 8th December 2010, 12:49 AM   #35
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
(the top was the legendary SL1000/SP10)
We had a well set up SP10 and a big Denon when i worked hifi in the late 70s. They helped us sell an awful lot of belt drive turntables... and most of them a lot less money than the big DDs.

Because the DDs did NOT sound as good.

dave
Old 8th December 2010, 10:40 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Hopefully you did that less fraudulently than the sales people trained by Linn.
Old 8th December 2010, 11:13 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Mmmmm....

Had a great Denon DD (DP3500) with an SME3009, got conned into buying a Rega 3, then a systemdek, then an LP12, then a million upgrades (Nirvana, Valhalla, whatever), then a TNT, then blew back to a Rega 2 (far more stable) and now wish I could buy an SL1200 with an interchangeable headshell and a host of different cartridges for different applications. Takes hours to change cartridges on a Rega...

Is the SL 1200 still available new? Word is that Technics has finally pulled the pin...

No doubt about it, a good LP12 with an Ittok and Asak could pull stuff off a groove like nothing else but for 95% of records, 95% of the time an SL1200 and a Denon DL160S (or DL103S: respect) would kick **** and sound good on almost anything almost all the time. None of my other turntables ever did that.

Sorry, it's just the Port (wine) talking...
Old 8th December 2010, 05:53 PM   #38
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
Hopefully you did that less fraudulently than the sales people trained by Linn.
It was straight up. The premise of the store was honestly. Long term "greed" not short term greed.

dave
Old 10th December 2010, 09:46 AM   #39
T101 is offline T101  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for the advices! I will follow strictly!

Today I got Vinyl Cleaning Kit consisting of cleaning fluid and a velvet brush.

The turntable will receive a stone base.

Dave, can you tell me why the belt drive tt's are better? Or maybe how better they are or can be? The only thing that comes in mind to me is if the SPL in the room is high, then the belt would inevitably vibrate.

Something common for both systems would be the bearing of the plater. And if there are any vibrations introduced in the reproduction they would be most probably due to the bearing...

Well... I don't know! My SL-1200 sound great with the cheapest cartridge! What more should I expect? I will buy another cartridge holder (the detachable end of the arm) and will install a high end cartridge on it and that would be all I need... (I'm not sure if I need it at all but everybody say that there would be a difference) Why bother with a belt drive when a direct drive performs better than one of the most renowned Yamaha CD players? And apart from having 993, I have listened and compared CDX-1100 and others from the 10xx series - they all are no match to the turntable...
Old 10th December 2010, 01:09 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

T101,

Excellent questions on DD vs Belt - I think the honest perspective is that either system can produce excellent results, but executing a belt drive system that performs well is more complicated than with DD. Incidentally 30+ years later your DD will still be performing as it did when new with only a few drops of oil on the spindle periodically. A 30 year old belt drive table will have required considerably more time & cost in maintenance & upkeep. Enjoy your new purchase!

Hide this!Advertise here!