First Turntable For Me? Technics-1200? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2010, 10:59 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I'd take my poorman's Rega over Jeff's 1200 any day (i think he considers it his beater, the Linn LP12 being his main TT). That was cemented at this year's diyFEST after getting a chance to listen to a modern one.
Well, even I thought it sounded quite grim. It doesn't sound like that here, so there must have been something haywire somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandersen View Post
I have one of those and I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade it or buy something else
I can drag the SL-1200 over for a comparison sometime if you're interested. You're welcome to demo the LP12 here as well.

Quote:
Hmm.... missed that. Must have happened after I left
It was Sunday. I wanted to try out Gregg's phono pre's. We did the demo out on the back deck.

jeff
Old 30th November 2010, 11:26 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
I can drag the SL-1200 over for a comparison sometime if you're interested. You're welcome to demo the LP12 here as well.
Thanks Jeff! I may just take you up on that offer, though probably not until the new year.

So, what do you think of the SL1200?
Old 1st December 2010, 12:45 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So, what do you think of the SL1200?
As a secondary table, it's great. Easy set-up, adjustable VTA, adjustable feet, quiet, built like a tank.

This particular table is an M3D, and has seen some DJ duty, so the arm could use a little help. Other than that, it seems to be fine. No mods yet.

jeff
Old 1st December 2010, 12:59 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

The SL1200 is rock-solid & will last you a lifetime with reasonable care - I have an SL1500 that I bought in 1976 and it's still working perfectly. The DD vs Belt debate is indeed akin to SS vs tubes...believe your ears. A good and reasonably priced cartridge is the Denon 103R MC. Those prices do seem very high - must be duties & taxes.
Old 1st December 2010, 02:22 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

How would each of you guys rate a Technics SL-QL5 turntable?
Old 1st December 2010, 03:10 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peckerwood View Post
How would each of you guys rate a Technics SL-QL5 turntable?
No idea, sorry.

jeff
Old 2nd December 2010, 01:27 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Not personally familiar with that model but did a scan over at VinylEngine. Direct drive system appears to be similar to that on SL-1X00 models. The linear tracking tonearm mechanism is fairly complex & these are something I shy away from in the interest of long term reliability. My SL1500 is a manual only (must cue arm manually at start & end of record) pivot tonearm so there is very little to maintain/adjust.
Old 2nd December 2010, 03:22 PM   #18
T101 is offline T101  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for the replies!
But the result is that I am now more confused.

Pro-Ject are distributed in Bulgaria and the prices are pretty affordable, for 234$ I can buy new entry level one together with Ortophone cartridge.

But I like more sophistication, more technology, I like things to be substantiated.

I have this player Yamaha CDX-993 [English] - a Yamaha 993 - it has overwhelming parameters, extremely low THD, powerful 20 bit DAC that handles 16 bit CD's and 20 bit DDD records equally well.

And the purpose to buy a turntable is to beat it From what I read a good stable turntable such as the SL-1200 with a good cartridge should beat most if not all CD Players...

So let's simplify the question - will the Technics SL-1200 beat the Yamaha CDX-993 - if the answer is Yes, I will be satisfied!

And another question, will be the Yamaha C-85 preamp be good enough for the purpose? http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Wbvv9PgiQNI/Sq...A/IMG_2335.JPG

Quote:
Phono MM 2,5mV/100 Ohm, 47 KOhm, MC 100V/100 Ohm, 1 KOhm
I also have a Yamaha RX-497 and two Pioneer receivers one of which vintage from the 70's and a behringer VMX-100 mixer all with phono inputs, but only the C-85 has a selector.

After all the Technics has extremely stable rotation speed - fluctuations are under 0.02% and the vibrations are low too, one of the higher models of Pro-Ject which is already more expensive than the Technics has 0.5% speed variations and worse db figure for vibrations... it was something like -73db against -78 for the Technics... So why buy a more expensive equipment with worse parameters? The less expensive Pro-Jects are with even worse parameters. After all the anti-skating system of those is with weight attached to a small thread and hanging freely

And apart from that a turntable has 2-3 measurable parameters, all the rest is accounted to the cartridge. And I will buy a 40 dollar cartridge and a 200 dollar cartridge...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phono.JPG (4.6 KB, 206 views)
Old 2nd December 2010, 03:41 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T101 View Post
So let's simplify the question - will the Technics SL-1200 beat the Yamaha CDX-993 - if the answer is Yes, I will be satisfied!
Depends on your view of CD vs LP. See the the thread How better is a Turntable compared to a CD?.
Old 2nd December 2010, 04:00 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I think the prospect of the vinyl playback "beating" your digital source depends on the whole system (turntable, tonearm, cartridge, MC stepup (assuming you go MC) and RIAA preamp. Of those elements my experience is that the cartridge and signal conditioning play the stronger role assuming your turntable and arm are reasonably competent and the arm is compatible with the cartridge. I would expect the SL-1200 to satisfy the reasonably competent standard for the turntable and tonearm. I would take your cartidge budget and invest it in one good cartridge rather than two. In the end my experience is that vinyl can outdo digital, but the source material and your personal tolerance for vinyl's surface noise can override the equipment choices.

Hide this!Advertise here!