Crazy Current Mode Shunt Regulator - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2010, 10:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Crazy Current Mode Shunt Regulator

I'm dropping this circuit in the analogue source forum, as it would most likely be used on an RIAA preamp. This ciruit is somewhat similar in priciple to the Salas simplistic shunt regulator, but adds a common base stage and Darlington to act as error amplifier/current comparator, and uses a resistor rather than a zener to determine output voltage, along with a jfet reference current sink. It would be interesting to sub a zener diode (like Salas) for the resistor. This may make it possible to eliminate a stage. I'll try that when I get a little mode idle time. At any rate, this is thrown out as food for thought, and may possibly spur more ideas and spin-offs.
Attached Images
File Type: gif CM_SHUNT_SCH.gif (13.0 KB, 157 views)
Old 29th November 2010, 10:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here's the simulation results for a 0.1A current transient with 10us edges. If you do the math, the dynamic impedance is 4.5 milliohms, and the static impedance is ~0.8 milliohms. A lot of this is due to the second Darlington in the schematic. It would be an interesting experience to build this up and check stability, as only lead compensation is used. The lag capacitor has been reduced to a vanishingly small value (less than what stray capacitance would be), and serves merely as a place holder.
Attached Images
File Type: gif CM_SHUNT_RES.gif (39.6 KB, 147 views)
Old 30th November 2010, 05:46 AM   #3
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I use resistor or LEDS in many versions too. Would be interesting to check stability in a practical build with all this current gain. Nice project.
Old 30th November 2010, 05:51 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've got a zener-based regulator (detailed in one of my other threads) in the RIAA preamp I have installed in my living room system, and I'm thinking of subbing a series string of (15) yellow-green GaP LEDs to see it there's any audible effect. I have the little board all built up and ready to go.
Old 30th November 2010, 06:01 AM   #5
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

They will need a bypass capacitor too although better for noise.
Old 30th November 2010, 06:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

One of ths things I had to check was to see if a large cap across the zener/LED array would have an adverse effect on stability. PSpice says it's all right. Since the cap I chose 180uF, 46 milliohms has a zero a ~17kHz, I guess this is not too surprising. Onward and upward...

Hide this!Advertise here!