My latest DIY TT project - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2010, 07:31 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Gyrascope

Good evening again Matthias,

you had a question about my stroboscope annex lp-weigth.

I was looking for a way to SEE the rpm's during play. So the normal stroboscope devices do not work (they are UNDER the vinyl that is playing).
Next option is measuring the speed by a sppedometer. It works.....but has a high degree of uncertainty for you must keep your hand seriously steady as this will inflence the measurement.
Then i saw on an audiofair a turntable-weigth annex stroboscope. It is called the Gyrascope and made by the French company Lys.

This battery powered device flashes with the leds (options for 33 1/3 and 45 rpm) and if the rotation is exactly the chosen setting....the leds look like they are not moving. A very nice device: easy to use. Precise.
As the leds will become a nuisance over the time: simply turn the Gyrascope...still in function a a weigth.

I noted that currently there are more of these devices. One is made by Sutherland (Sutherland Timeline). This produces a laser-point on a wall...if it moves....the turntable does not rotate perfectly 33 1/3 or 45 rpm.
The other is spotted on Ebay; it is from the Far East....no more data available.

This answers the quenstion ?
Reinout
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7549.JPG (51.5 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7556.JPG (61.4 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7559.JPG (60.5 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7562.JPG (57.2 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7708.JPG (44.2 KB, 202 views)
Old 29th November 2010, 09:43 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinoutdV View Post
Good evening again Matthias,

you had a question about my stroboscope annex lp-weigth.

I was looking for a way to SEE the rpm's during play. So the normal stroboscope devices do not work (they are UNDER the vinyl that is playing).
Next option is measuring the speed by a sppedometer. It works.....but has a high degree of uncertainty for you must keep your hand seriously steady as this will inflence the measurement.
Then i saw on an audiofair a turntable-weigth annex stroboscope. It is called the Gyrascope and made by the French company Lys.

This battery powered device flashes with the leds (options for 33 1/3 and 45 rpm) and if the rotation is exactly the chosen setting....the leds look like they are not moving. A very nice device: easy to use. Precise.
As the leds will become a nuisance over the time: simply turn the Gyrascope...still in function a a weigth.

I noted that currently there are more of these devices. One is made by Sutherland (Sutherland Timeline). This produces a laser-point on a wall...if it moves....the turntable does not rotate perfectly 33 1/3 or 45 rpm.
The other is spotted on Ebay; it is from the Far East....no more data available.

This answers the quenstion ?
Reinout
Haha thanks Reinout,

This is something I am certainly going to buy !

For the motor I was looking at Maxon I saw a brush less flat motor there it was a 24V but that not a big issue the fact is you can directly solder to pot meter on the motor to change speed.

Do you now how much torque your has ?

Greetings Matthias
Old 30th November 2010, 12:10 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

So I made a new design of the motor part.
I have added 2 switches one for the on/off and one for 33/45. Also added 2 pots for fine regulating the speed.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 30th November 2010, 07:08 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Did some more drawing work on the motor unit this time I worked on the inside of the unit. All necessary cabling comes inside the box except for the PSU than. Everything will be covered with one piece of ALU.

The second photo you can see how the engine is mounted on to the disc.

Hide this!Advertise here!