MC v MM Cartridges

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry for the idiotic questions, but it might take me a long time to find a thread where you guys DEFINE some of these terms. I have a turntable I bought new in the early 1980's with an Audio Technica cartridge. Nothing real special. Typical cartridge for the time. What is it? Is it "MC" or "MM"? Apparently, preamps are often specific to the cartridge type. I am looking at a Bellari.

Hi

I agree with toufu. An MM (Moving magnet) cartrige has a replaceable stylus. An MC (moving coil) cartridge has a non-replaceable stylus. Give us a reference number - often found on top of the cartridge - for a definite say-so. If your AT cartridge is a moving magnet type, you will notice two tiny magnets arranged in a "V" just inside the stylus finger grip. AT does make moving coil cartridges, notably an OC9.

bulgin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.