A DIY TONEARM - HELP PLEASE - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2010, 11:21 PM   #11
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Tracker View Post
You might try to attach plumbing fittings to the ends of the tubing. Then pressurize the tubing with a grease gun. Then bend it. Of course the tubing has to be cut a little longer than final size.
Years ago I built a bending machine to bend 7/16" diameter 6061 aluminum tubing into a full 12" diameter circle. I had no problems with doing that because I'd discovered a neat trick, apparently developed by a company called "Tools for bending". It involved a bending wheel with special geometry. If you are truly interrested in that method, I'll make a drawing for you and post it.

Ralf
The idea of packing the subsequently sealed tube with sand or grease is to allow the tube to bend without kinking or having a reduced diameter in the bend. Building custom headers for cars usually involves using a special mandrel that withdraws while the bending wheel is advanced. This requires some precision machine work as the mandrel and bending wheel must be sychronized for a full diameter bend in the pipe.

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 27th June 2013, 03:43 AM   #12
Sprags is offline Sprags  United States
diyAudio Member

Perhaps pouring melted wax into the tube and then letting it harden before bending it into shape will provide enough support to prevent crimping...then heat the tube up until the wax melts and pours or drips out will help?
Old 27th June 2013, 03:47 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

here's something you might find useful.. ;-) Prepper Tip- Bending copper tubing with ICE! - YouTube
Old 27th June 2013, 04:19 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Location: Right next to beach, a potatoe toss to the whitewater
When be ding small diameter copper pipe, for still heat exchangers, u heat briefly to remove temper, put a short strong Spring on the OUTSIDE of the pipe and bend the spring. Only work the metal once or it hardens. I imagine the same process might work for the small s bend in an arm. The spring stops the tube kinking by supporting the tube wall
Old 27th June 2013, 06:28 PM   #15
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

When bending plastic electricial conduit, one put the spring inside the tube....
Old 28th June 2013, 04:54 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi , Thanks for the tips - !!! .... I still haven't got to the point of trying the bend yet - I hope to try soon - still sourcing the right tubing.
Kind Regards, Dean

Hide this!Advertise here!