cartridge replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think it is not the vinyl but the dust and dirt that grinds the diamond. That is the reson i keep my records clean and wash them regulary. I clean my stylus each time i play a recor
and apply some Lyra SPT. Nevertheless i send my cartridge for service each ca. 3 years.
I play around 1 to 2 hours music each day over vinyl.
It is years ago but i have seen microscopic pictures that show diamond wear over time.

quote-- from audioimport.nl

The stylus bears on the groove wall with a pressure of from 40,000 to 70,000 pounds per square inch. The stylus is "Flying" along the length of the groove at 20 inches per second. The force on the groove wall is so great that there is an enormous pressure wave moving out into the body of the plastic as the record moves around the stylus tip. The groove wall is pushing and shoving the stylus tip around. The force needed by the wall to accelerate and move the stylus is added to the already huge pressure exerted by the stylus at rest. The combination of forces creates a varying amplitude pressure wave that under critical conditions becomes a shock wave that hammers its way through the vinyl material. The energy in such a shock wave can exceed the bonding forces which link and hold the vinyl together.

No, generally it's carbon black- that doesn't have the lubricity of graphite, but it does a better job of coloring and modifying the mechanical properties of the vinyl. Generally a low structure factor black.

The fact that there are a tiny proportion of CNTs contained in blacks will no doubt start speculation on mysterious factors affecting the sound quality of vinyl...

Precisely. The content of CNTs and buckyballs affects the electron tunneling properties, causing variable percolation thresholds. This explains the increased smoothness and freedom from digitization nasties that will always separate fine vinyl from digital media for the truly sensitive music lover.

what are some of the symptoms of a defective cartridge? i have an old m91ed and i get a lot of crackling when the volume of the music increases in particular at high frequencies i think. when a violin plays a high note and at a loud volume a crackling becomes very prominent. does this have to do with the cartridge?

thanks

Over time, a lot of crap can build up on the inside of the cartridge motor which can cause the problem you are hearing. Can you remove the stylus and make sure that it is absolutely clean inside? This sounds like a tracking problem, and since this is a Shure MM, there is either something physically hampering the mechanism or the cartridge set-up is in gross error.

IMG_0819.jpg

John

Last edited:
Over time, a lot of crap can build up on the inside of the cartridge motor which can cause the problem you are hearing. Can you remove the stylus and make sure that it is absolutely clean inside? This sounds like a tracking problem, and since this is a Shure MM, there is either something physically hampering the mechanism or the cartridge set-up is in gross error.
John

is it possible to open up the cartridge and clean it out? can i use some deoxit type spray to clean it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.