Tape Head needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Most erase heads, unless they are extremely old, are ferrite. This does not normally wear significantly and is extremly difficult to relap. I believe the Factotum uses the erase head as part of the oscillator tuning so any relapping will significantly alter the bias / erase frequncy. for the same reason replacing with a non original part will also be difficult.

Barry

With the diamond abrasives now commonly available re-lapping should be an option. Yes most of those erase heads are in the resonator circuit but that come under category of calibration with the frequency and current being adjustable on many. Maybe not on yours though.

As for "significant" changes it will still be in the range of the adjustments unless the wear is huge.

Best of luck.

The chances of a ferrite erase head being badly worn on a tape echo unit seems rather slim, I would assume the problem in this case is that the head is either open circuit or missing.
I have never seen significant wear on a ferrite erase head, even on professional machines running all day at 15 ips.
Lapping any head will always change the inductance by a noticeable amount and any machine that uses the head inductance in the oscillator is probably so basic that there will be no adjustments available. I have never seen any half decent machine that uses the head this way, which is not to say that the head isn`t tuned, just that it is not part of the oscillator tuning.

Barry

With that in mind am supposing it is a bringing back to life of an old piece of equipment. The further suggest changing parts in the circuit to get things working would be the course to follow for a different or modified head. Yes what barry said is mostly what I have seen with the head loading the oscillator and not tuning it other than through the loading effect and or running a coupling resonator from the oscillator to the head to get the current up or some other sort of thing. After all on an old machine bending the original design to get things working again is often required. If the desire is strictly stock then "out of luck" come to mind.

If the head is badly worn I stand corrected - and suprised. Is it a metal or ferrite head? What is the actual fault? the 3 connections suggest a tapped winding, presumably because it is used as part of the oscillator. This will make it very difficult to use a non original part so your best hope would be somone who has broken a similar unit for spares.

Barry

erase head

on all the meazzi echomatic and factotum all the heads are the same ones. The erase head is not out of metal but out of black plastic with in its center where the band passes a part which seems to be out of iron this head is probably to change it is the reason
for which I seek one of them

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.