Dual 1219 needs help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
Dual 1219 needs help.
This TT I believe is stuck somewhere midcycle between start and stop. I hope that it is not broken. Does anyone have any experience to offer to gently nudge this thing into operation?
Once it is going I would like to lubricate the critical spots. Does anyone have lubrication instructions?
DT
All just for Fun!

Hi DT,

I used to work in an authorized Dual repair shop. Here's what you need to do:

Remove the c-clip that holds the platter down and lift off the platter. Under the platter, you will find a large gear-like object which is the cam that drives the movement of the tonearm. What usually happens is that the cam and the little trigger mounted to the cam get seriously gummed up. In most cases, the repair is simply to disassemble the mechanism (the cam is held on with a c-clip), clean the parts with a solvent to remove the gum and to reassemble it using a little light machine oil.

The other thing you will probably find is that the rubber drive wheel has hardened. This was a common replacement part. That could be tough to replace considering Dual's demise. In some cases, the rubber can be restored using a camphor-based product used for rubber products (unfortunately, I can't remember the name, it's been about 35 years).

These are great turntables, very well made and are definitely worth restoring. The entire job should take you no more than 30-45 minutes.

Hello,
Dual 1219 needs help.
This TT I believe is stuck somewhere midcycle between start and stop. I hope that it is not broken. Does anyone have any experience to offer to gently nudge this thing into operation?
Once it is going I would like to lubricate the critical spots. Does anyone have lubrication instructions?
DT
All just for Fun!

Hiya DT! Go to www.vinylengine.com and check out the Dual forum there - plenty of assistance! Also the library is well stocked with service manuals - the 1219 Service Manual is there i think, but if not, the 1229 should suffice.

If you do need an idler wheel, you can do a lot worse than contacting Gary at thevoiceofmusic.com. Heres a link to the page for your idler - only $25 USD!!!

Last edited:
Hiya DT! Go to www.vinylengine.com and check out the Dual forum there - plenty of assistance! Also the library is well stocked with service manuals - the 1219 Service Manual is there i think, but if not, the 1229 should suffice.

If you do need an idler wheel, you can do a lot worse than contacting Gary at thevoiceofmusic.com. Heres a link to the page for your idler - only $25 USD!!!
Thank You aardvarkash10 and bunkie for the information and links.
I have down loaded the service manual I am getting after the gunk on the cam.
DT
All just for Fun!

hello guys..I hope i`m not offending anybody by posting here.

I have the same turntable at home. a dual 1219.

Problems with it...the start buton does not move the tone arm automaticly. it moves auto. at the end of the record but it does not move auto. when pressed start.

Stop buton doesn`t do anything at all.

Aaaand...I mananged to break the selector on the speed selector.
I broke the metal that goes into the cilider , that held a small metall ball (like a ball pen).And I got the ball stuck in the cilinder . So if you can tell me how to get that out..it would be great.
I can fabricate another piece of metal that I broke where I work. But the tricky part is getting the ball out.

And I have the cover..with the "cabriolet" version. The one that lifts the fron, 1/4 of the cover all baiscly all the cover in the end.

So it is a great pice..it has a kicking good sound..but I`m looking for help to restore it. If I can do it i`ll keep it if not..I`m probably looking to sell it.

ok...a little bit of a problem with the 1219...

the cat broke the hinges ..the plastic ones of the lid.
i had the opened lid option...like a coupe cabrio :)

any advices on this matter at hand??? what can I use to replace them.
I know I cannot replace the original ones..but I was thinking about aplying new ones ....with silicon or something..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.