Cable/Wire Measuring Instrument(s) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2010, 11:02 PM   #1
dnlyko is offline dnlyko  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Cable/Wire Measuring Instrument(s)

I suspect the cable from my stylus to the phono stage is compromised. My left channel is about 1db+ loader than the right so it throws off the soundstage to the left. I have gone through the elimination process and determined the fault lies between the cartridge pins and the input of the phono stage.

I would like to know what instrument(s) I would need to measure the wires.
What will I be measuring for and what should be the values (tolerances) I should be looking for?

I would also like to know who would stock high quality cartridge pin clips in the GTA.

FYI. I have the Origin Live RB250 with their complete rewire.

Thanks for your help.
Old 5th November 2010, 04:03 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

A difference of one dB is trivial. Nothing wrong with the wiring, it's probably just a slight unbalance in the cartridge itself.

To be sure, reverse left and right wires and see if the situation reverses with them.

Hide this!Advertise here!