The Official Turntable Drive System/Motor Thread! - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2010, 06:05 PM   #41
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
Checking this motor, my Fluke meter tells me that there are only two combinations that yield any resistance.

Blue-----Yellow 200 ohms
Green-----Red 58 ohms

not what I was expecting?
If that's a 3-phase motor it's horribly broken!

My offhand semi-educated guess is that the 200 ohm winding connects directly to the power line, and the other one goes in series with the capacitor to the power line. The relative phase of the windings should determine rotation direction.
Old 30th November 2010, 07:03 PM   #42
Greg M is offline Greg M  United States
diyAudio Member

Will wonders never cease ?

I went down to the shop and rummaged around and found a fax from Feb 1993 from Elinco. It was pretty faded but I was able to pull this info out of it....

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 1st December 2010, 04:48 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

O.K., sorry for steering you wrong.

That's the first two phase hysteresis synchronous motor I've seen.
Old 1st December 2010, 02:47 PM   #44
Greg M is offline Greg M  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
O.K., sorry for steering you wrong.

That's the first two phase hysteresis synchronous motor I've seen.

Not a problem. I'm sure you didn't try to mislead.
At any rate...."discovery" is the reason I pursue most of the interests/hobbies that I have.

I did find a 3uF running cap down at the packrat-a-torium (the shop) so I was able to get it running yesterday afternoon. The bearings are very noisey, but I was able to find a couple nos replacements on fleabay.

and the beat goes on.....
Old 1st December 2010, 04:52 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

I'll be interested in what people come up with for a 60Hz motor controller, since I can't afford the VPI SDS for my table. Another question, my o-ring belt finally broke and I was going to replace it, but I never liked the idea of a rubber belt. My VPI motor is no longer in the base, it sets off to the side in a aluminum case, so I no longer need the isolation from a rubber belt. I was thinking of silk or kevlar thread, any recomendations? I may also add a second motor since I use a MKIII plater that is heaver than the HW19 stock platter. Anyone try this?
Old 1st December 2010, 05:13 PM   #46
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

thingap
Quote:
The ThinGap® Advantage
ThinGap’s patented electromotive coil technology improves motor performance by eliminating the need for wire-wound stators with slotted laminations. Instead, precision-machined copper sheets provide the coil with structure, replacing the copper magnet wire and slotted laminations used in conventional motors. This allows higher copper packing density and a higher ratio of copper to total coil volume, while virtually eliminating the magnetic detents (cogging) caused by slotted laminations.
Quote:
No Hysteresis Torque
By replacing the stationary laminated stack with a rotating solid steel return path hysteresis losses are eliminated. Since slotted laminations are unnecessary, the magnetic detents they cause are eliminated. This combination of features virtually eliminates cogging, in turn minimizing velocity and torque ripple.

No Cogging Torque
Eliminating slotted laminations eliminates cogging torque caused by slot interaction with magnets. Since the coils are constructed without iron, and all iron parts either rotate (i.e., brushless motor) or remain stationary (i.e., brush motor), cogging torque and hysterisis drag torque are virtually non-existent.
Quote:
Smooth and Quiet Operation
Harmonic variation of torque and voltage are reduced by eliminating lamination slots. Additionally, since an AC field does not exist in the iron components, AC excitation of acoustic noise from the iron is eliminated. The only detectable noise comes from bearings, air turbulence around the coil and vibration caused by non-sinusoidal current waveforms.
Quote:
Sinusoidal Back EMF Waveform
The motors contain very low voltage harmonics because of the precise location of the coil elements and inherent smoothing of the waveform due to the coil configuration in the air gap. This provides exceptionally smooth constant torque independent of rotor angle with sinusoidal drives and controllers. This characteristic is especially useful for slow-moving objects (e.g., telescopes, optical scanners, and robotics) and precision surface machining, where smooth motion control is crucial.
rgds
jms
Old 3rd December 2010, 04:50 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnus x1 View Post
I'll be interested in what people come up with for a 60Hz motor controller, since I can't afford the VPI SDS for my table.
Get the December issue of AudioXpress.

Last edited by jackinnj; 3rd December 2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 7th December 2010, 03:31 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Hate to have to buy a year subscription for one article. Do they sell article reprints?Seems I saw this in two issues, Nov and Dec?
Old 7th December 2010, 04:21 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

I'll mention to Ed that he could set up a system like Elektor where you can purchase a missing article and have it sent via PDF.
Old 8th December 2010, 04:47 AM   #50
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default or you could go to...

http://www.norre.dk

It was the "inspiration" for the article.

Hide this!Advertise here!