Marantz SD1000 Cassette Deck, Won't Run - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2010, 10:39 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Marantz SD1000 Cassette Deck, Won't Run

Never serviced a cassette player before.This unit hasn't been used for several years; amplifier wise it all seems to be now functioning but the tape transport won't operate.
Put in a cassette........... press play......... it runs too slowly and eventually slows down and stops.
Same symptom as for a jammed tape, but I have tried several tapes and it is the machine.
Also it will Fast-Forward OK but wont Fast Rewind at all.
Am I simply looking at replacing the belts here or can someone recognise a particular problem ?
Thanks for any help.............. Kelvin
Old 19th October 2010, 03:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

In the meantime I have had a look at the belts and the main drive belt certainly looks a bit "slack".

Looks as if it could easilly be replaced provided it is OK to remove the screws each side of the flywheel support. This might allow me to rotate the support giving access to drop a new belt over the flywheel , which can then be dropped over the motor pulley.

Does anyone know these machines and is the above going to cause any complications.......... eg would this damage/disturb the flywheel in any way.... as I can only get to one side of it with the transport assy in situ ?
Old 21st October 2010, 03:48 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinmunson View Post
In the meantime I have had a look at the belts and the main drive belt certainly looks a bit "slack".

Looks as if it could easilly be replaced provided it is OK to remove the screws each side of the flywheel support. This might allow me to rotate the support giving access to drop a new belt over the flywheel , which can then be dropped over the motor pulley.

Does anyone know these machines and is the above going to cause any complications.......... eg would this damage/disturb the flywheel in any way.... as I can only get to one side of it with the transport assy in situ ?
Probably not a lot to loose here, I'd give it a try. Also google for service manuals for this deck..

Hide this!Advertise here!