Restoring and Improving A Thorens TD-124 MKII - Page 87 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2013, 09:43 PM   #861
diyAudio Member

My 1 liter of Nye 181B synthetic oil arrived the other day. I need to lay in some Dremel attachments for buffing motor mating surfaces and then once I can break free some time, the motor rebuild will commence.

For anyone interested in the 181b, it shows no tint that I can discern, even looking through a liter bottle (standard white semi-opaque plastic). A simple test conducted by dipping a small philips head screwdriver shaft into it (thinner than the e-50 shaft by far) shows at room temp the film is thinner than either 3-in-one electric motor oil or Amsoil synthetic compressor oil, which are both rated SAE 20 wt. It does, however, seem to have as good cling as either one and presented an unbroken film. Hardly a scientific test, particularly since operating temp is more important. I do have a good feeling about the oil, can envision it working nicely in a sintered bronze application, but proof is in the pudding. My guess is either it'll turn out to be an excellent match or the motor will run too fast and I won't know until I try it.
Old 21st September 2013, 11:29 PM   #862
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I guess we will have to wait to see what sort of success you have with the lubricant.. Fingers crossed on this one.
Old 21st September 2013, 11:39 PM   #863
diyAudio Member

Kevinkr - well this is DIY so I guess it's time for me to do the "Y" part. Even if the 181b turns out not to be quite right, seeing how it performs might be enough to pinpoint a better option in the Nye line and it is a pretty extensive line. Now at some $90 a liter (gee at least that includes S&H) I'd be a lot happier if I nailed it first time around. The money could certainly be used elsewhere on this project, I'm sure.
Old 22nd September 2013, 02:07 AM   #864
diyAudio Moderator

I hope you have it nailed, and look forward to hearing about positive results. Money is always an issue, never enough..
Old 23rd September 2013, 05:12 PM   #865
diyAudio Member

Hello,
Please report back how the oil compares with other oils. You can always get some 10oz bottles and sell them for $5-$10 and recoup some or all of your investment. Let us know what you think.
Regards,
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouricatman View Post
Kevinkr - well this is DIY so I guess it's time for me to do the "Y" part. Even if the 181b turns out not to be quite right, seeing how it performs might be enough to pinpoint a better option in the Nye line and it is a pretty extensive line. Now at some $90 a liter (gee at least that includes S&H) I'd be a lot happier if I nailed it first time around. The money could certainly be used elsewhere on this project, I'm sure.
Old 23rd September 2013, 06:23 PM   #866
diyAudio Member

Default Bearing oils

Is the '3 in one oil' or 'general purpose oil' supplied by Singer Sewing Machine company also good for use as bearing oil ?
If not , what could the reasons be ?
Old 23rd September 2013, 07:10 PM   #867
diyAudio Member

I will let everyone know what my results are. However, even if this oil works well for me, I can't in good conscience compare it to any of other oils currently being used because frankly, I don't have any real experience with them. I simply wasn't comfortable with any of the alternatives available to me (Texaco R&O isn't one I have access to) so I set out to find something I felt had specifications similar to what I understood Thorens had used originally - and that was clearly intended to be used in sintered bronze, in precision machinery, etc. This is what I hit upon. Time will tell whether all the effort I put into tracking it down was worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleT View Post
Hello,
Please report back how the oil compares with other oils. You can always get some 10oz bottles and sell them for $5-$10 and recoup some or all of your investment. Let us know what you think.
Regards,
David
Old 17th December 2013, 09:28 PM   #868
his047 is offline his047  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have just a couple of days ago mounted the motor of my TD124 in springs from Hanze HiFi in the Netherlands. They present the springs here: Hanze Hifi - Spring time for TD124!!!, and the science bits here:
http://www.hanzehifi.nl/merken-bezig.../thorens/td124
I am totally bowled over by the reduction of motor noise: the reduction compared to my (new) Schopper rubber mounts is immediately noticeable. The best €40 I have spent on the table so far.

DISCLAIMER: i honestly have no connection to the shop! But I am impressed with the springs.

Last edited by his047; 17th December 2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 17th December 2013, 09:35 PM   #869
diyAudio Moderator

Good to hear, I have a set I will be installing shortly on my TD-124/II - they will replace a set of geltec bushings I currently have on the TT. Those bushings in turn will go on the my older TD-124/I.
Old 18th December 2013, 03:23 AM   #870
nhuwar is offline nhuwar  United States
diyAudio Member

Funny how a low tech spring seems to beat high tech polymeric bushings.

One more thing to add to the list. Probably soon since my td124 is do for an oil change and tune up. So many projects, so little money, lol.

Hide this!Advertise here!