Restoring and Improving A Thorens TD-124 MKII - Page 78 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2013, 06:46 PM   #771
batsong is offline batsong  United States
diyAudio Member

Platter runout has been eliminated to + .0005", but still getting a little lateral 'dipsy-doodle' in the strobe window, though the speed is locked. Guessing this is do to strobe marking irregularities.
Old 2nd July 2013, 07:11 PM   #772
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes I have that to some degree on mine, remember the era in which this stuff was made..
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:42 PM   #773
diyAudio Member

Thanks for confirming...figured this was the case. This table is like a blossom opening its petals
It starts with me noticing a new passage of music on a record I had played many times before which gives way to the airy and extended highs of a string section or an electric piano hanging suspended for a moment. The solidity of bass and overall quality of refinement I heard so much about is coming to the fore with each revolution and each day, with no other changes to my system save a little 20wt oil with some cleaning and adjustment. What started as hard and compressed is now open and effortless.
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:53 PM   #774
diyAudio Moderator

Sounds like you are moving in the right direction, this is how I would describe both of mine, of course it is the combination of arms and cartridges with the table, but the only other one I've liked nearly as much was a Garrard 301 also with a Schick arm and a now forgotten but very good LOMC.
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:22 PM   #775
diyAudio Member

batsong - KCMO here. OK, kevinkr and everyone else . . . I'm about at a point where coming up with something respectable (inexpensive) in the way of a cartridge for the TP-14 tonearm has to be determined, so I'm open to suggestions.

This is a TD-124/II with the iron sub-platter (as confirmed by my highly scientific "if a refrigerator magnet sticks to it" test).

So far, the cartridges that have been recommended are the Denon DL103 or DL103R, and the Nagoka MP11 Boron (I know, not made anymore).

I'm leaning toward MM, simply because I've only got one preamp that will do MC and adding that to the magnetic sub-platter, just seems staying with MM for the time being makes the most sense. But I'm open to all suggestions.

Oh and anybody just sitting on a spare finger lift, let me know. That and the Thorens badge are MIA on my headshell.
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:35 PM   #776
diyAudio Moderator

I think the DL-103 in a proper body is still the hottest reasonably priced option you have. I have a cast iron platter on my TD-124/II and have used at least 5 different SPUs (soon to be a sixth) on it without difficulty as well as a ZU DL-103 and a Denon DL-103D.. I'd also look for a used DL-103SA which is pretty rare now.

A set of transformers like the Partridge 977 will provide enough gain and are a great match for a DL-103 and run you about $150.. Good sounding as well..
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:44 PM   #777
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
I think the DL-103 in a proper body ...
Ok, you've lost me there. "Proper body"?
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:04 AM   #778
diyAudio Moderator

You can purchase a number of different bodies which make a remarkable improvement to the performance of this cartridge.

The other option is to just purchase a new or lightly used ZU Denon DL-103: http://www.zuaudio.com/turntable-cartridge.php I purchased a very lightly used Grade 1 for very reasonable money, up to that point it was the best cartridge I had ever heard, and clobbers a stock DL-103 in direct comparison.

Something like this in wood:
Denon DL 103 Exotic Wood Cartridge Body Upgrade Thorens Micro Seiki McIntosh | eBay

or

Club Wood Denon DL 103 Mpingo Wood Upgrade | eBay

There is also a seller of nice metal housings over at Lenco Heaven last time I checked.

Note that these all require you to carefully remove the existing body, there are a number of good places to find out how to do this including here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ENq8PoXhaU (Courtesy of Thomas Schick)

I have my suspicions that at least one very expensive LOMC cartridge in an aluminum housing with a spherical stylus and a suspiciously familiar generator assembly is in fact a repackaged DL-103.. What I am saying is it has good roots..

Even diying a used good cartridge into a good body is going to pay off as long as you don't break it in the process.
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:44 AM   #779
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
You can purchase a number of different bodies which make a remarkable improvement to the performance of this cartridge.
OK, thanks for the info. Modding this cartridge is something I've not read about before. I can see the advantage. Reminds me a bit, though, of the Shure V15/III and the "DU" version that shipped with many Duals. I've got one of both flavors, so it was easy to spot that other than markings, the "DU" version is different only in that it's sans the chrome painted plastic body.
Old 3rd July 2013, 05:46 PM   #780
diyAudio Member

>KCMO
Heah!

Hide this!Advertise here!