Restoring and Improving A Thorens TD-124 MKII - Page 68 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2013, 02:08 PM   #671
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volken View Post
Polishing in the lathe or drill with polish pasta !
Eating polish pasta while operating a lathe seems a little dangerous. Greasy fingers can slip! Joking aside, I'm looking at various grits of diamond powder polishes used in lapidary work, so I'm trying to determine what is the finest grit I can use to polish the steppulley spindle, motor spindle and platter spindle.

Here's the site I'm looking at for polishes.

http://www.gravescompany.com/polishin.htm

Last edited by missouricatman; 17th March 2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added link
Old 17th March 2013, 03:54 PM   #672
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouricatman View Post
Volken - What is your procedure for polishing the bottom of the steppulley shaft? What products do you use?
Hello Missouricatman,

I am actually using a polish for removing the scratches from a car's body, therefore it's a polish that isn't so aggressive. I have obtained very good results, both polishing the spindle than the step pulley. The product brand is Arexons, here the link http://www.arexons.com/arexons/cms/e...H_REMOVER.html. I know that some people use polish for chrome parts too. After polishing, I clean every surface with a solvent for metals.

Cheers
Maurizio

Last edited by trix1985; 17th March 2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old 17th March 2013, 04:57 PM   #673
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trix1985 View Post
Hello Missouricatman,

I am actually using a polish for removing the scratches from a car's body, therefore it's a polish that isn't so aggressive. I have obtained very good results, both polishing the spindle than the step pulley. The product brand is Arexons, I don't know if it's known also in the USA, maybe you can try to find something similar. I know that some people use polish for chrome parts too.

Cheers
Maurizio
Thanks Maurizo. The least aggressive way of polishing spindles is what I'm looking for. I imagine the bottom of the stepped pulley can be resurfaced, but would think that the side of the spindle, as well as sides of the motor and turntable spindles would be best hit very lightly. Removing any burrs and smoothing the edges of any scratches would seem prudent, but anything that would remove any more material would change critical tolerances.

To give some idea of the condition of the TD 124 II I will be working on, I'm attaching some images of the platter spindle. As you can see, wear on the top of the spindle is much greater than the bottom. On the bottom it seems confined to a few light score lines. I'm also attaching an image of the platter spindle upper bushing. This image has been sharpened to bring out some of the detail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TD 124 platter upper bushing.jpg (95.6 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg TD 124 platter spindle bottom.jpg (58.6 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg TD 124 Platter Spindle Top.jpg (45.6 KB, 206 views)
Old 17th March 2013, 05:05 PM   #674
diyAudio Member

Hi, my starting point was similar to yours; I had to polish the spindle about 3-4 time but, at the end, looking the spindle at the sun (yes, german sun so maybe not very effective!), it was clear of any trace of wear.
Old 17th March 2013, 05:15 PM   #675
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi, my starting point was similar to yours; I had to polish the spindle about 3-4 time but, at the end, looking the spindle at the sun (yes, german sun so maybe not very effective!), it was clear of any trace of wear.
I'm still educating myself before rebuilding the turntable, but I have replacement bushings for the platter spindle and several other parts. For each of the spindles I intend to polish, my current plan (it might change) is to find a way to attach the spindle to a lathe and polish as it rotates. This should give me more control and help keep the polishing even.
Old 23rd March 2013, 10:57 AM   #676
diyAudio Member

A new set of bearing for the Thorens TD 124 has just arrived this morning from Spain. A new bearing for the idler wheel and new bearing for the step pulley. I will do the job after the Easter Holiday, I will try to make documentation about it and share here.

Cheers,
Maurizio
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:53 AM   #677
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A new set of bearing for the Thorens TD 124 has just arrived this morning from Spain. A new bearing for the idler wheel and new bearing for the step pulley. I will do the job after the Easter Holiday, I will try to make documentation about it and share here.

Cheers,
Maurizio
Maurizo - I'll be interested to hear your experience removing and replacing the bearings/bushings, since I have the parts on hand and need to do the same thing.

Meanwhile Thorens turntables are about to pile up here. The same friend who gave me the TD 124 II blew a whole $10 US and picked up a TD 125 II A/B and a TD 145, both complete with the stock tonearm and dustcover. At the moment the 125 does not power up. The 145 powers up, but turns very slowly. Still for $10 . . . Attached are shots of the 125 and 145 I just got from him this morning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thor102.JPG (51.0 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg thor202.JPG (56.4 KB, 181 views)
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:03 PM   #678
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouricatman View Post
Maurizo - I'll be interested to hear your experience removing and replacing the bearings/bushings, since I have the parts on hand and need to do the same thing.
For the idler wheel, I will try using the method that Kevin suggested us. For the step pulley it's a little bit harder, I have thought about a little extractor, which I hope will do its job! I need only to buy some components.

Quote:
whole $10 US and picked up a TD 125 II A/B and a TD 145, both complete with the stock tonearm and dustcover.
It's really a great deal, I hope one day to find a TD 125 too!
Old 1st April 2013, 01:21 AM   #679
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Default New Slate Plinth

My TD-124/II has been finally installed in an uncracked plinth, the 124/I is now installed in the old cracked slate plinth..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130331_2113391867725892.jpg (273.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130331_211612188703806.jpg (595.8 KB, 103 views)
Old 1st April 2013, 11:12 AM   #680
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
My TD-124/II has been finally installed in an uncracked plinth, the 124/I is now installed in the old cracked slate plinth..
kevinkr - is the new plinth a purchase or among other talents, are you a stone cutter now too?

All I've got to report is that our local electronics shop called with the estimate to fix my Sansui AU-719, which for the moment is what I'd use with the 124/II. Hilarious, the only thing wrong with it is the protection circuit. Here we were thinking the circuit was doing its job and a power transistor was failing, but it was the other way around. So my $99 thrift store find will take $150 to get back to spec. Not the cheapest deal, but cheaper than buying one in similar condition I think.

Hide this!Advertise here!