Restoring and Improving A Thorens TD-124 MKII - Page 64 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2013, 03:09 PM   #631
diyAudio Member

Kevin,

Just to let you know,

My brother and his wife-to-be just happened into a bonanza.

Her uncle passed away and left them a TD124, and some McIntosh equipment, a MC 275 and a McIntosh Tuner and Preamp, (I don't remember the model numbers.)

The McIntosh pre and amp work, but the tuner has problems. Next time I'm over, I will be bringing my B&K 747, and see if there are problems with a tube or two.

As for the 124, I'm guessing I will be re-building it.

Gene
Old 25th January 2013, 07:14 PM   #632
6n1 is offline 6n1  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default Mirko s idler wheel

Hi there , is there any news that Mirko ( the one that makes these idler wheels ) is still making and selling them ? With regards Paul
Old 25th January 2013, 09:23 PM   #633
diyAudio Member

Default TD 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6n1 View Post
Hi there , is there any news that Mirko ( the one that makes these idler wheels ) is still making and selling them ? With regards Paul

Why don't you ask him? His website is:

Classic Turntables

Gene
Old 26th January 2013, 12:15 AM   #634
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Gene,
Sounds like they hit the jackpot for sure, before going too much further all of that McIntosh gear should be carefully gone over. It is well overdue for power supply and coupling capacitor replacement. In the case of the tuner it is pretty unlikely to be a tube. Have them find someone they trust to go over the gear and do what must be done.. It'll be worth in terms of not frying expensive to replace parts..

The 124 of course will make a worth project, if they're really lucky it came with an SPU in tow..
Old 26th January 2013, 03:21 PM   #635
6n1 is offline 6n1  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default Mirko s idler wheel

Hi Gene , thank you I have been trying the Contact button but somehow it is not working . With regards Paul
Old 8th February 2013, 06:20 PM   #636
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone.

I "hijacked" this helpful thread from Lenco Heaven, a great resource. This might help some of us that have noise problems with our TD124's.

"The idler wheel that I got with a flea market L78 was really noisy. At first I thought was the bronze bushing. It was probably run for a very long time without any lubrication at all, and I thought that the idler wheel is beyond repair. But it turned out that most of the noise is there because of the brown resin washers. They started making a sort of a very soft grinding noise as soon as they weren't completely covered in oil."

I had a sheet of 1mm PFTE lying around, and used a set of punches to make PFTE washers"

Wonder if that might work for us also?

Last edited by ntesla; 8th February 2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 8th February 2013, 06:33 PM   #637
diyAudio Moderator

I suspect it would help with worn washers. I am using some plastic washers that were made for me a couple of years ago, they are quiet.
Old 21st February 2013, 06:05 AM   #638
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone,

I am Maurizio and I own a Thorens TD 124 MKI, that I received from my girlfriend's grandfather. When I picked up the table, it was practically dead; only the stroboscope turned up and nothing else. I managed to bring it again in service, dismounting, cleaning and re-lubing the motor, polishing the motor pulley and stepped pulley and relubing the idler wheel bearing. The TT reach its speed in about 3 turns and, after the warming up, speed remain constant except some imperceptible fluctuations, due to the stylus going from the outer to the inner tracks. The tonearm is a SME 3009 Serie II not improved, which I think it's a very beautiful and excellent arm. By the way, there are still margins of improvement in the way the turntable works. First of all, when the motor is on without the belt, it's silent; I managed to align the bearing after having warmed up the motor itself, by tightening the four screws in order to reach the minor possible noise. As soon as the belt is mounted, I start to hear some whirring, which, I suppose, derives from the belt itself. The belt is the original one, I've only clean it with warm water and soap and, then, with alcohol. It doesn't show any crack, by the way I don't know if it has lost its tension, because I don't have a reference belt to judge it. Do you think that it should be changed? I've already contacted Schopper in Switzerland, it should not be a problem to receive a belt from them here in Munich in a few days (it's about 300 km from here). Then the idler wheel, it's always a little bit noisy, though I cannot hear it in the normal listening. Is it maybe the bearing that needs to be changed too? I've checked that the idler wheel height is correct, with respect to the stepped pulley (about 1/64 of inch, right?) and it should be ok. Last but not least, a motor rumble audible only during silent tracks: it's like a noise, with a frequency of 50 hz, coming from the motor through the chassis and than to the tone arm. The noise appears only when the motor is engaged and the stylus on the vynil; I am sure it comes from the motor, because I've made different tries:
1) motor on, belt engaged, idler wheel mounted: noise on
2) motor on, belt engaged, idler wheel dismounted: noise on
3) motor on, belt disengaged: noise on
It's always the same frequency, therefore I suppose that the source is the motor itself. I've tried to mount the chassis on the plinth without the four mushrooms (that are new from StereoLab) and I could notice a decrease in motor noise but the sound of the TD 124 was colder and flatter, therefore not a good solution for me. The motor suspensions are still the original one, but seem to be ok: I know that there's a conversion kit from the MKI to MKII, would it bring good results? Or changing at least only the 3 motor suspension? In any case, the table is superb, I am discovering new aspects of my vinyls which I haven't noticed before! Thanks to everyone for sharing such precious informations and have a good day.

Maurizio
Old 21st February 2013, 06:10 PM   #639
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone,

I am back again: today I tried to record and to analyze the sound, coming out from my Thorens TD 124. I used the software Audacity, a very useful freeware; I don't intend to make a "scientific" post, nor to say that my method is 100% correct, but the results I obtained are incredible. First of all, I did two measurements: one with amplifier turned off, microphone directly on the chassis and turntable operating at 33.3 rpm. Then I did an analysis of the frequency spectrum of the recorded file and what was the result? I have a pick of -42 db at 50 hz, exactly the operating frequency of the motor! Click the image to open in full size.

As second measurement, I recorded the first mute track of a vynil and I put the microphone in front of my speaker. Now the result was a peak of about -38 db between 50 and 60 hz, which means that other noise sources are involved.
Click the image to open in full size.

As previously said, it's an empirical method but it seems to confirm the fact that the motor is the principal noise source. Furthermore I wanna try to calculate the rumble noise, in order to check if I reach at least the Thorens standard of the time (I read somewhere it was -40 dB).

Cheers
Maurizio
Old 24th February 2013, 05:28 AM   #640
diyAudio Moderator

Good stuff Maurizio!

The Schopper belt is a good bit of kit, and is what I am using on both of mine. The motor mount kit to upgrade to the motor mounting used on the 124/II is a very worthwhile upgrade.

Assuming the main bearing does not use nylon bushings you should be fine with the original main bearing unless the table has very high hours. If nylon you can get replacement sintered bronze bearings on eBay.

A good plinth is a great help wrt to attenuating motor noise. I have a Schick on my 124/II with a Meister Silver SPU on a four layer slate plinth, and on my 124/I an SME 3009 Series II (Unimproved) with supplemental weights and an SPU GM E II on a crummy homebrew wood plinth..

Hide this!Advertise here!