Restoring and Improving A Thorens TD-124 MKII - Page 58 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2012, 12:04 PM   #571
diyAudio Member

I had a "duh" moment this morning. Earlier I'd remarked that I didn't understand why Thorens would supply a plinth that didn't allow for easy access to the levelers. The answer is they didn't. Grabbed the coffee and headed downstairs to take a closer look. You know, I have this sneaking suspicion that if one were to install a set of new rubber decoupling mushrooms, complete with the metal supports, replacing those that are crushed beyond all recognition, as well as those that went MIA and were replaced by thick rubber washers . . . DUH!
Old 10th July 2012, 04:29 PM   #572
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yeah, there were all sorts of aftermarket plinths for the TD-124, some were OK, and some were considerably less so.

The current plinth is useful for the restoration phase, but will not be very good once you start to use the table. The fact that the adjusters physically touch the plinth significantly reduces the isolation the rubber mushrooms were meant to provide. In any event flimsy vintage plinths do not provide the mass or loss required for really silent operation with one of these tables.

I'd recommend a diy CLD type plinth or a more massive slate plinth like the one I use. There are also some decent new plinth options on eBay for the time/skill challenged..
Old 10th July 2012, 10:28 PM   #573
diyAudio Member

Making a good plinth wouldn't be an issue for me. Getting the 2 gram counterweight for the anti skate, now that's proving to be an issue. Joel's package from Germany came today, without the weights! He put it into a standard envelope with a small foam pouch to contain the weights and put it in the mail. I don't know how the weights got lost because I couldn't see a tear in the envelope, but they clearly punched through the foam pouch. Perhaps someone along the way felt they needed to open the thing. Are gram weights contraband somewhere? Whatever. I'm still without the anti skate. drat.
Old 11th July 2012, 04:38 PM   #574
diyAudio Moderator

Those empty envelopes are a real bummer, I've had this happen too. There are a number of vendors on eBay who sell generic weights for anti-skating set ups and in a variety of different weights. Might want to check that out.

A couple of weeks ago I received a completely flattened AA lithium cell packed in a first class envelope through the mail. Of course they aren't supposed to be shipped that way (didn't know it was coming by mail) but I was pretty impressed - did not keep it in the house fearing it might do something obnoxious.
Old 11th July 2012, 04:57 PM   #575
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Until you source a replacement you can always tie a nut of approx correct weight to a piece of finest fishing nylon and use that...won't look pretty but will work just as well!!
Old 11th July 2012, 04:59 PM   #576
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
Until you source a replacement you can always tie a nut of approx correct weight to a piece of finest fishing nylon and use that...won't look pretty but will work just as well!!
This is a great idea in the interim..
Old 11th July 2012, 05:25 PM   #577
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
This is a great idea in the interim..
Hey, are you guys NUTS? Sorry I just had to say that. Really it would be a good interim solution. Joel's already responded though, saying that he figures it was some of the automatics at the post office that caused the problem. Whatever it was, he said he's got another set and will send those, albeit not in a little envelope this time. I have to say not having seen what he's selling (dumb me) I can't say for certain that they're not generics. He's known to be a good go-to guy for parts so I'm hoping.
Old 11th July 2012, 07:53 PM   #578
diyAudio Member

Default world's flattest decoupling mushrooms??

OK, I know there is a lot of weight on these things, but seriously . . .

Wonder if the fact the turntable came from THE DESERT had anything to do with this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mushrooms.JPG (119.0 KB, 173 views)
Old 11th July 2012, 10:19 PM   #579
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
The mushrooms I have seen here in the UK all have been GREY in colour....LIGHT grey.

I suspect that these are not makers parts.

I have never seen one perished and suspect that stock mushrooms are some sort of modified rubber. ... but we don't get the temperature extremes which some of you experience.

We always left these out and bolted the TT to a very solid (slate) plinth. Never had FB problems.
Old 11th July 2012, 10:43 PM   #580
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
The mushrooms I have seen here in the UK all have been GREY in colour....LIGHT grey.

I suspect that these are not makers parts.

I have never seen one perished and suspect that stock mushrooms are some sort of modified rubber. ... but we don't get the temperature extremes which some of you experience.

We always left these out and bolted the TT to a very solid (slate) plinth. Never had FB problems.
Here's a more grayscale accurate photo of one of the mushrooms. While it was purchased north of Phoenix, chances are it spent some time in the Valley Of The Sun. It's quite common for it to be above 115 F. (46 c.) for much of the summer. In a storage locker, well the heat would probably kill you in under an hour!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mushroom CU.JPG (45.2 KB, 166 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!