Restoring and Improving A Thorens TD-124 MKII - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2012, 11:24 AM   #511
volken is offline volken  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Steve this belt is especially made in small quantities, the same holds for the rest of the Schopper parts. For larger quantities there is a price drop but for this kind of parts its difficult.
But if you see the troubles you get with the so-called replacement belts, its only 35 USD!
The main parts for the 124 are the motor, belt, and main bearing if these are in 100%
good shape you get the best results out this fantastic Swiss turntable !!

Volken
Old 5th February 2012, 06:09 PM   #512
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volken View Post
Steve this belt is especially made in small quantities, the same holds for the rest of the Schopper parts. For larger quantities there is a price drop but for this kind of parts its difficult.
But if you see the troubles you get with the so-called replacement belts, its only 35 USD!
The main parts for the 124 are the motor, belt, and main bearing if these are in 100%
good shape you get the best results out this fantastic Swiss turntable !!

Volken
Yes. I have to agree. So long as we are supplied with a "correct" belt that is designed specific to the application, the price seems at least reasonable.

I was prepared to think that way with the oem Thorens logo belt, but was ultimately let down by the so-called "new Thorens" who apparently did not do adequate R&D to assure that they were putting their brand logo on a product worthy of the name. And that belt was similarly priced if not a little bit higher.

-Steve

PS: While on the subject of belts I decided to take a look at the oem Thorens logo belt I've been using on my TD150 for at least a year if not a little bit longer. There was quite a large built up of rubber residue on both drive pulley and the driven inner platter rim. Very similar to what I saw on the TD124. I'm guessing it might be the same rubber compound in use on both belts. Needless to say, I've now cleaned all belt drive and driven surfaces with alcohol on the TD150. Unfortunately I know of no oem belt for the TD150 that is superior to the oem Thorens logo product, so, after a wipe-down and powder, I put that belt back on the little belt drive player. At least we get a proper length, width, and tension with the Thorens product. And the little TD150 is back singing its tune. I'll just have to keep a more frequent look-out for residual build-up on the pulleys of this one.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by user510; 5th February 2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 5th February 2012, 07:13 PM   #513
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Steve, as usual, beautiful work.

Love the Thorens projects on your page. I'm the infamous "justaguy" from audioasylum (which I've given up on...it is just so huge and very tough to stay on task, but always a good read ).

Your TD150 really is quite beautiful. I think that creating a belt tensioner or idler (automotive style) and the 1/4" tape might be relatively easy to implement on the TD14X, 15X and 16X turntables. I have a few hacked up cassette decks (intended for spare hardware and mechanical bits, none of which were in running condition) so salvaged capstan rollers and pulleys are easy for me to consider.

Now if we could just get you away from that !#%^$! MDF...I guess I've never realized how varying the belts are .
Old 5th February 2012, 07:13 PM   #514
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

My experience with the Thorens OEM (modern) belt has been quite similar which is why I am no longer using it. Cleaning the running surfaces on a weekly basis was necessary to maintain good quiet operation.

I'm encouraged to hear the Schopper belt is working well, and will order at least one soon.
Old 5th February 2012, 09:50 PM   #515
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Love the Thorens projects on your page. I'm the infamous "justaguy" from audioasylum (which I've given up on...it is just so huge and very tough to stay on task, but always a good read ).

Agree. Audio Asylum can be a bit trying at times. For my part I've been known to take a break away from that forum for a period of time..... only to eventually return knowing that as a resource for all things record player, VA has a very useful archive to search and filter through

Quote:
I think that creating a belt tensioner or idler (automotive style) and the 1/4" tape might be relatively easy to implement on the TD14X, 15X and 16X turntables. I have a few hacked up cassette decks (intended for spare hardware and mechanical bits, none of which were in running condition) so salvaged capstan rollers and pulleys are easy for me to consider.
Yes. I confess to having had the occasional daydream about one way or another to accomplish a Schroeder style tensioned tape drive system on a TD150. A project for some future day.....

Quote:
Now if we could just get you away from that !#%^$! MDF...I guess I've never realized how varying the belts are .
What mdf? Something out of my past? These days I tend to work with baltic birch plywood. Pretty good stuff.

-Steve
Old 6th February 2012, 11:59 AM   #516
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Default wheel puller tool

found this on fleabay:

<http://www.ebay.com/itm/THORENS-TD124-TD124-MARK-II-WHEEL-PULLER-USA-MADE-/320841228437?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4a b3a0a095>

May suit one of you keen guys! [ disclaimer: No interest of any sort in item/seller!]
Old 6th February 2012, 05:30 PM   #517
diyAudio Member

I have received my Schopper replacement belt, but haven't mounted it yet, as my TD124 is running exceptionally well at present, with an inordinately long spin-down time after shut-down (2:45), and immediate "correct speed" at start-up. So why interrupt things when they are at this nice a state?

However, my previous Thorens belt, which I'm not using now, produced quite a bit of residue, to the point where I would get slurring at start-up after about a week, with the belt not engaging properly, there were also speed variations after a while. The person who refurbished my turntable has carried out a test similar to the one Volken describes.
All belts were stretched to the same point, and to the length that corresponds to the running length:

Original belts, 2 measured - many years old - 0,3kg
Schopper belt, 5 measured, little variance - 0,65kg
Florida belt, 5 measured, varied from 1,1-1,3kg - 1,25kg
Svalander belt (Swedish supplier), 1 measured - 1,1kg

His conclusion is that the Svalander belt and the ones from Florida (eBay) are too tight, and represent a doubling of the load compared to the Schopper belt, which will reduce the longevity of the bearings significantly.
Old 7th February 2012, 04:19 AM   #518
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
found this on fleabay:

<http://www.ebay.com/itm/THORENS-TD124-TD124-MARK-II-WHEEL-PULLER-USA-MADE-/320841228437?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4a b3a0a095>

May suit one of you keen guys! [ disclaimer: No interest of any sort in item/seller!]
Nice piece. It does indeed look like a custom "pulley puller" that would work well on a TD124.

-Steve
Old 7th February 2012, 05:45 AM   #519
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Steve, so sorry...

I thought last time I looked closely at your projects that MDF had been used on that particular Thorens. If I'm wrong I apologize. I'm a BB ply believer...
Old 12th February 2012, 12:25 AM   #520
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I ordered two Schopper belts, one for each of my TD-124s, and will report back when they get here. The Swiss Franc is not as strong as I thought either which was a nice surprise.

I found Christine at Schopper extremely helpful, pleasant, and quick to deal with.. This makes it much more likely that I will spring for one of their lovely non-magnetic platters down the road a bit.

Edit: My TD-124/II came with the non-magnetic zamac platter which I have replaced with a stock cast iron platter which seems to work OK with the SPU. The cast iron platter is much more neutral sounding than the zamac platter which was brutally apparent the moment I installed it. The zamac platter does not sound bad per se with a little help, but the cast iron was a pretty big improvement in terms of unmasking detail and in getting rid of a certain zingyness that I was not fully aware of until it was gone.

Hide this!Advertise here!