Restoring and Improving A Thorens TD-124 MKII - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2010, 04:56 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

limono,
The leopard wood looks very nice on your TT.
Old 4th October 2010, 05:00 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

kevinkr,
There is tons of slate quarries within a couple hours drive of you. Soapstone as well.
I am sure they have drops laying around for a bargain. A simple water saw will cut those in a heartbeat. If you are so vested, Lowes or Home Depot sell an in expensive circular water saw for less than $100. Otherwise look up a local tile installer. Most will cut it for a six pack.
Old 7th October 2010, 12:37 AM   #33
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGregory View Post
kevinkr,
There is tons of slate quarries within a couple hours drive of you. Soapstone as well.
I am sure they have drops laying around for a bargain. A simple water saw will cut those in a heartbeat. If you are so vested, Lowes or Home Depot sell an in expensive circular water saw for less than $100. Otherwise look up a local tile installer. Most will cut it for a six pack.
Suggestion is much appreciated, unfortunately I don't have a lot of free time, and my wood working skills while functional are quite rudimentary, and I want this to be very nice in keeping with what I have already invested. The few people I have talked to have quoted me significant money to do the complex cut out in the slate portion for the TD-124 chassis.. I can actually get the whole thing made at a very high level of craftsmanship in Vietnam for a lot less than I could get the comparable item made here, and that includes shipping to get it here. (I have audiophile friends scattered across Asia.)

Last edited by kevinkr; 7th October 2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 7th October 2010, 02:24 AM   #34
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds interesting. If 2 slate plinths would make it more profitable for your friends and the price is accesible I may be interested too if possible :0)
Old 7th October 2010, 08:40 AM   #35
GTHICM is offline GTHICM  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to GTHICM Send a message via Skype™ to GTHICM
Default Slate and Wood Plinths

Limono,
It would be no problem to make an additional plinth for you, if you are interested. Kevin is contemplating one that is extended to take a 12 inch tonearm mounted on the plinth for his TD124.
Old 8th October 2010, 04:31 PM   #36
diyAudio Moderator

Heard today from the eBay seller of the many rebuild parts I bought for the TD-124, they are all in and the parts will ship this Saturday..

Recent massive multiple computer failures means I have two computers to rebuild before I can start the next phase of the TT project, but I will document and photograph at least some steps along the way once I do get going.
Old 12th October 2010, 10:53 PM   #37
diyAudio Moderator

The parts have all arrived for the mechanical refresh.. Included are all of the parts needed to overhaul the motor, isolation bushings and a bunch of other parts. Now I just need to find the room to start on this.. Guess that means I should relocate some stuff off of the bench..

I have managed to clear a little space and will start the disassembly, hopefully I can complete the overhaul before the next round of computer parts get here; I will need to focus on that once that happens.

To the right of the picture are the motor parts; felts, bearings, and fasteners, directly below are the special Japanese made motor mounts, and below them is a new Thorens OEM belt sourced from Thakker..

To the left are the TT chassis mounting bushings, again Japanese made, and they may or may not be used in the final iteration - depends on what arm and what plinth I am using..

Note that these parts cost about 3/4 of what I paid for this TT, however once installed the table should perform better than new.. So worth it..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kit_scaled.jpg (489.0 KB, 888 views)
Old 13th October 2010, 01:35 AM   #38
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

"Note that these parts cost about 3/4 of what I paid for this TT, however once installed the table should perform better than new.. So worth it.. "
I don't think so ..
Old 13th October 2010, 05:24 AM   #39
GTHICM is offline GTHICM  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to GTHICM Send a message via Skype™ to GTHICM
Default As Good as New?

Quote:
Originally Posted by limono View Post
"Note that these parts cost about 3/4 of what I paid for this TT, however once installed the table should perform better than new.. So worth it.. "
I don't think so ..
Can we agree on as good as or better than new?
Old 13th October 2010, 06:16 AM   #40
diyAudio Moderator

Perhaps a bit of hyperbole, OTOH, fresh motor bearings and felts are a lot easier to deal with than cleaning the mess that came out of the motor bearing housings. Green goo - is that what oil turns into as it ages? And quite gluey - some harsh chemicals required.

The gel motor mount bushings are considerably better than the stock or replacement bushings typically available, and they seem to do a pretty good job..

The machine is running on my bench.. It seems reasonably quiet, and should get quieter with some run in time. (The motor got about 4hrs worth)

Obviously I will never know how this machine performed when new as I was not there at the time, the friend whose mother I purchased it from was, unfortunately had nothing more than anecdotal comments.

Better than new is more or less an expression of my enthusiasm.. (Limono this is for you.. ) Get yours sorted out and we can compare notes along the way.. Our journey may not be that different - I have no particular expectations of success, just a lot of hope.

I will say that with the rebuilt motor the speed stability is quite good, and it comes up to speed quickly - this all based on observing the strobe as I have not yet got an arm board and mounted the arm on it. I will say it seems more speed stable than the old TD-125...

I'll post pictures tomorrow evening as I need to go to bed. I took a lot of pictures of it coming apart and going back together. This work with fresh bearings only takes about 6 hrs from start to finish, cleaning and re-oiling bearings will make that about 12hrs I'd guess.

A quick observation, don't overfill the main bearing regardless of web advice - in my case the bearing is so tight that the shaft just sat on the pool of oil and would not fully seat - I had to remove more than half of the oil I added. Also on the MKII at least it seems unnecessary to remove the platter before reinstalling the spindle in the bearing well - just don't force it.

FWIW, the parts to completely overhaul most of this table cost little more than a few minor "spare parts" for an SME 20 with which I am well acquainted, and I also got a reasonably good deal on the purchase of the TT which came with a restorable and now restored SME 3009 Series II. For those who like to tweak this table offers a lot of opportunity.

Last edited by kevinkr; 13th October 2010 at 06:27 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!