Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Restoring and Improving A Thorens TD-124 MKII
Restoring and Improving A Thorens TD-124 MKII
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2018, 02:21 AM   #2541
user510 is offline user510
diyAudio Member

Nobody knows.

-Steve
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:27 AM   #2542
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

Haha. LOL!
Come on.

(I am searching for a good rugged tt for outdoor/pa use.)
Old 3rd January 2018, 02:56 AM   #2543
diyAudio Member

SL1200 mk2 (Technics, used)
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:18 AM   #2544
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the hint.
Yes, I know.
But I was hoping there would be a somewhat less expensive solution.
Old 4th January 2018, 01:23 AM   #2545
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Well if you could find one of these in NOS condition (not likely), they were sturdy enough for the Swiss Army. Or just get one to go along with your Swiss Army Knife ;-)

ferrucios Lenco

I don't think of a TD124 in the terms of outdoor use, though I'm certain one could be prepared for it, not unlike that Lenco.

-Steve
Old 4th January 2018, 10:08 AM   #2546
nigel pearson is offline nigel pearson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalplayer View Post
What`s so special about the TD124?
It's a work of art and a device of science. It was made at a time with very little to copy or build upon. I suspect Thorens looked at the Garard 301 and thought it a better idea.

It has the sound of a broadcast turntable. It's a bit like hearing the mastetape. Having used a Scully lathe as a turntable I can say that the LP is closer than you would think to that mastertape ( CD transfers are not as good ). It is rock solid in terms of imagine placement. It just sounds right. Records sound less damged sometimes. When it is the only copy you have it matters. A Lenco can do the same. I like SME M2 with the Lenco.
Old 4th January 2018, 10:14 AM   #2547
diyAudio Member

I figured it is somewhat special.
Thanks for the detailed answer.
Old 4th January 2018, 05:11 PM   #2548
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel pearson View Post
It's a work of art and a device of science. It was made at a time with very little to copy or build upon. I suspect Thorens looked at the Garard 301 and thought it a better idea.

It has the sound of a broadcast turntable. It's a bit like hearing the mastetape. Having used a Scully lathe as a turntable I can say that the LP is closer than you would think to that mastertape ( CD transfers are not as good ). It is rock solid in terms of imagine placement. It just sounds right. Records sound less damged sometimes. When it is the only copy you have it matters. A Lenco can do the same. I like SME M2 with the Lenco.
Nicely summed up. Almost, if not poetic, even.
Cheers,
-Steve
Old 4th January 2018, 08:39 PM   #2549
kleppermaster is offline kleppermaster
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
I purchased all of my replacements on eBay. I figure they last a long time so $30 - 40 is not terrible, sometimes there are better deals.

Make sure that the 33K resistor on the back of the voltage change board is OK. (It should measure within 10% of nominal value, if it is outside this range it should be replaced)
I checked the 33K in circuit and it measures 34.9K. The bulb looks dark and smoky inside the glass. The new ones in the pics on ebay look clear. Also, there is someone selling replacement mirror kits that include the mirror, plastic window and the bulb for $25.00. The bulb does not look the same and the original. I contacted the seller and asked about it. The seller responded that the bulbs are not original. They are 1/4-watt not 1-watt like the original bulbs. However, the seller said they work very well. I did some surfing yesterday and found 1/4-Watt neon bulbs with the same as original base for about $5.00. I think I'd prefer to stick with an original though.

FYI My bulb has written on the base:

Philips GL 1W
Made in Holland
Old 4th January 2018, 08:52 PM   #2550
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleppermaster View Post
I checked the 33K in circuit and it measures 34.9K. The bulb looks dark and smoky inside the glass. The new ones in the pics on ebay look clear. Also, there is someone selling replacement mirror kits that include the mirror, plastic window and the bulb for $25.00. The bulb does not look the same and the original. I contacted the seller and asked about it. The seller responded that the bulbs are not original. They are 1/4-watt not 1-watt like the original bulbs. However, the seller said they work very well. I did some surfing yesterday and found 1/4-Watt neon bulbs with the same as original base for about $5.00. I think I'd prefer to stick with an original though.

FYI My bulb has written on the base:

Philips GL 1W
Made in Holland
Click the image to open in full size.

Like this one I'm pretty sure. An original bulb after about 50 years of use. The one pictured still lights.
At present I am using a modern facsimile that has a larger diameter at the glass but otherwise fits the fixture. I wrote about it somewhere within this thread several years back. Use the thread search facility to find it. I believe it is a 125 volt bulb that I purchased from Mouser at $5.00 each. At present I can't find the part number within my notes. It is working fine at grid voltage in my area (125vac/60hz)

The bulbs Jurg Schopper offers, I believe to be NOS oem stuff. That would account for his pricing. That and the fact that it is in Switzerland where all things cost more.

-Steve

Last edited by user510; 4th January 2018 at 08:58 PM.

Restoring and Improving A Thorens TD-124 MKIIHide this!Advertise here!