Restoring and Improving A Thorens TD-124 MKII

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Unfortunately changing coils is one of the things I have not done to date. I would just PM user510 and see if he is around, please post the details as you figure it out so that others might find it easier.

Document things as you take the motor apart as reassembly I understand is just the reverse of the disassembly. Not sure whether the coils fit snuggly or need to be shimmed.

Unfortunately changing coils is one of the things I have not done to date. I would just PM user510 and see if he is around, please post the details as you figure it out so that others might find it easier.

Document things as you take the motor apart as reassembly I understand is just the reverse of the disassembly. Not sure whether the coils fit snuggly or need to be shimmed.
Unfortunately, User510 hasn't been seen for quite a while - maybe over a year.

Last edited:
Hi Hugo

It's not a normal bulb though, it's a neon bulb also, I was wondering if the resistor would have to be changed.
I was hoping to find something local as our postal service is borked, so everything needs to be couriered at huge cost.

2 are being delivered tomorrow, so I'll try it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I vaguely recall that the motor is used as an autotransformer for the neon lamp in 220V//240V operation so I would not change that resistor or up the current to the lamp.

Postal services in some parts of the world seem to be in decline, ours is definitely borked as well. I rely mostly on FedEx for documents, and FedEx, UPS and DHL for packages. Last mile delivery by USPS is generally OK.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The era of two TD-124 here is coming to an end, the TD-124 daily driver was replaced by an early 2000s vintage Scheu Premier II with a Schroder Model 2 arm. I plan to offer that older 124 eventually in the vendors area with its original E50 motor. I will also be selling the Papst 3 phase motor separately with modified 3 phase drive included as well. I will update here when I put it up.

Reactions: 1 users