Restoring and Improving A Thorens TD-124 MKII - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2010, 12:53 PM   #91
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Now I have a loaner SME 3012 Series II to try.. It just gets better..
Old 6th November 2010, 12:34 AM   #92
diyAudio Moderator

Several friends stopped by today, and all commented that my system has never sounded better. One of recently bought a TD-124 MKII to restore based on seeing mine during the restoration process, another has decided he wants one too.. I've been listening to a lot of vinyl over the last few days, I'm very happy with the performance.. It's a little hard to believe that a TT design this old (not to mention the table being this old) could work so well, but it does.

Yesterday I picked up another North American version TD-124 MKII (clearly marked above the speed controls) for a friend, and noted that this one also has an aluminum platter - this is the third MKII I have seen with the AL platter. I believe the story here is that these are all late production units made after the iron platters were discontinued. He picked up his new table tonight and as you can imagine he is pretty excited..
Old 7th November 2010, 11:11 PM   #93
GTHICM is offline GTHICM  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to GTHICM Send a message via Skype™ to GTHICM
Default Motor Thrust Ball Bearing Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Yup. That is what I intend to do but I was hoping for a more authoritative reply from someone who has measured it or has some factory specs.

The bearing service kit I bought does not include this item although the provider has agreed to throw in a used but excellent condition ball. However, considering the time and money investment, a new silicon nitride ball seems warranted.

Kal
According to one of the guys on Vinylengine who supplies bearing kits for the E50 motor, the ball bearing for the motor is 2mm.
Old 7th November 2010, 11:25 PM   #94
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHICM View Post
According to one of the guys on Vinylengine who supplies bearing kits for the E50 motor, the ball bearing for the motor is 2mm.
Yes, 2mm is the correct value, bearings in the range of 0.078" - 0.080" also work fine. (The range brackets 2mm)
Old 8th November 2010, 12:41 AM   #95
diyAudio Member

Thanks, all. I have obtained a few 2mm silicon nitride balls for this job. My back-up is a Papst from my collection.

Kal
Old 8th November 2010, 11:53 PM   #96
diyAudio Moderator

I expect it will be a few more days before the new belt gets here, in the meantime I have also ordered a gunmetal main bearing cap, and today I ordered a gold colored Bren1 record weight/clamp. I originally was going to order a TTWeights MiddleWeight, but I realized after a quick analysis that on the inside grooves after the lead out there was almost 100% likelihood that my cartridge and headshell would hit the TTWeight.

I'll install the bearing cap and belt at the same time as the table is now in constant use and I'd rather not tinker with it for the moment as I am enjoying it too much.
Old 12th November 2010, 11:17 PM   #97
diyAudio Moderator

That belt from turntablebasics has gone totally AWOL. The gunmetal bearing cap arrived from Australia in less than a week, and the Bren1 record weight I ordered a couple of days ago has also arrived.

A quick look under the turntable late this afternoon revealed a pretty formidable puddle of oil under the main bearing so I ended up installing the new cap and gasket. Nicely made, at some point I will probably go for a silicon-nitride ball bearing as well. Going forward I will separate the platter from the spindle rather than pull the spindle to avoid blowing out this gasket. I used a little form-a-gasket to coat the cap and the housing end to assure a good seal. No leaks so far. The original thrust plate and cap were not in great shape having become significantly concave, and the thrust plate had a rather significant dimple in it.. (See the pix.) I must have damaged it installing the spindle and platter on one or more occasions.

I purchased a Bren1 record clamp because I was relatively certain that my wide headshell and cartridge body would clear. Fortunately I was right - I have about 3/8" of clearance which is plenty.

The combination of improved bearing cap and weight seems to enhance overall resolution, provide a bit more rhythm, and results in a very significant tightening of the bottom end. The differences except in the bass are fairly subtle, but all positive, and don't detract from the good qualities of this table. (I can't say the same of all tweaks, I found a mat I had thought to use actually was not demonstrably an improvement.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W_Bren1.jpg (321.4 KB, 493 views)
File Type: jpg 00002.jpg (486.2 KB, 481 views)
Old 14th November 2010, 01:23 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

Here's a guy for Italy who sell upgrades for the Thorens TD 124. Man, That's a beautful piece of equipment. The plinth is stunning.

Analogico > Plinth per giradischi > Plinth Clinamen per giradischi a puleggia > Thorens TD124 | CLINAMENAUDIO.COM
Old 14th November 2010, 03:55 PM   #99
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by migkiller1971 View Post
Here's a guy for Italy who sell upgrades for the Thorens TD 124. Man, That's a beautful piece of equipment. The plinth is stunning.

Analogico > Plinth per giradischi > Plinth Clinamen per giradischi a puleggia > Thorens TD124 | CLINAMENAUDIO.COM
Yes, it is.. I bet the price is stunning too..
Old 15th November 2010, 08:30 PM   #100
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by migkiller1971 View Post
That's a beautful piece of equipment. The plinth is stunning.

Certainly in the looks department. I find it difficult to take his choice of arms and the use of the horrid top platter seriosly. The 124 deserves a lot better. And i don't mean a SME 3012

Hide this!Advertise here!