The highs on my TT are missing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If anyone remembers my turntable project.

I used to listen to the older ADC cartridge and it was heavily lacking in highs, even with proper wheight settings. So, I changed it using a Shure M92e. Now, using proper wheight I still have a heavy clarity problem. I'm using the internal phono preamp in a Harman Kardon PM645 and even when the treble is on maximum theres still that problem.

So I'm on a hunt for problems.. I started with proper Vertical alignment with a mirror (thats the only way I know.. open to suggestions).

Not sure if it helped.

I know the m92e is rated at 20hz-18khz but that is not a lack in the "high ends", I mean no cymbals at all, no maracas, wich heavily bugs me off.

Next thing I may check is the phono preamp, wich I highly doubt that it is causing that.

anyone?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Ah, I see your problem. You are a cat, and expect treble up to 40kHz, yet you have buried one ear in the carpet. Sit up properly to listen.

I assume that everything sounds fine on other sources, so the loudspeakers are not at fault (blown tweeter). If this is so, the only things left are the cartridge, pre-amplifier, and records. Do you know that the records you have played have proper treble on them? I ask because I recently played "Welcome to the Cruise" by Judie Tzuke, and there was no treble at all. Complete mud. Is it the same in both channels? If it is, you are looking at two duff cartridges, if not, it's an electrical fault in the pre-amplifier.

I assume that everything sounds fine on other sources, so the loudspeakers are not at fault (blown tweeter). If this is so, the only things left are the cartridge, pre-amplifier, and records. Do you know that the records you have played have proper treble on them? I ask because I recently played "Welcome to the Cruise" by Judie Tzuke, and there was no treble at all. Complete mud. Is it the same in both channels? If it is, you are looking at two duff cartridges, if not, it's an electrical fault in the pre-amplifier.

Thanks for the replys.

Well.. Can't be my speakers, I'm making tests with my headphones, unless all my records are missing trebble, this can't be it.

Yep, same in both chanels.

I wish I could try another phono preamp, but I don't have one.

try lifting the arm by a few degrees

What do you mean by that? applying less wheight? I tried, doesen't help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.