Timaudio TT Motor Pod - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2011, 12:54 AM   #11
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I noted looking on eBay that they have improved the $99 model at least externally. The unit now has an IEC power connector instead of the wonky captive cord set, and the nut for the speed control knob is now recessed. Perhaps the improvement in exterior design also reflects some internal improvements in assembly quality, although I expect the motor and PSU are still the same.

Anyone using one of these units whether newer or older should check speed with a stroboscope, noting that with a 12" platter removal of one of the series resistors and reduction of the value of the other in the speed control circuit may be necessary to get it to run fast enough to achieve 33 rpm and 45 rpm on the respective pulley step. (To play it safe I would make the minimum resistance something like 22 - 47 ohms.)

I've used this unit once or twice since I last posted and have had no problems with the unit. I don't expect the motor is very durable, but since I don't use it much this should not be an issue for me.

Last edited by kevinkr; 27th March 2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 28th March 2011, 12:07 AM   #12
Renron is offline Renron  United States
diyAudio Member

Kevinkr,
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences / expenses with us. Well maybe not so much the expenses............. but your views are very much appreciated by at least me.
Thanks for the review, I've seen it several times on the "Net" and almost picked one up myself. If the DIY floppy doesn't work out.......maybe I will.

Ron
Old 28th March 2011, 01:51 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

What is the ID diameter of the motor housing? Wondering if it will accept the Empire Papst Hysteresis motor?
Old 29th March 2011, 07:12 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I just used my TimAudio motor attached to a VPI TNT super platter, the lead/delrin one that weights over 20 lbs, and the speed using the smaller pulley point was steady around 33.33 rpm overnight. I measured the speed with a strobe tachometer. I was actually surprised to see that first, it could turn the platter and second, that once the speed was adjusted, it stayed pretty true for a long time. Speed ranged from 33.32 to 33.4 which is only a .2% variance. Checked the speed variation over about a 10 minute time frame after being left on overnight.
not bad for $99.
I did find that there has to be minimal tension on the belt for this performance. If the belt tension is too tight, there is motor noise, a slow down in speed and more fluctuation. In fact, if it is too tight, the platter wont start turning at all without a push.
The DIY table is getting closer to completion
Old 31st March 2011, 05:55 PM   #15
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSeven View Post
What is the ID diameter of the motor housing? Wondering if it will accept the Empire Papst Hysteresis motor?
Fairly doubtful, ID is somewhere around 3.25" IIRC. I'll try to get a better estimate sometime in the next few days. I may even take the cover off.
Old 31st March 2011, 06:00 PM   #16
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitunc View Post
I just used my TimAudio motor attached to a VPI TNT super platter, the lead/delrin one that weights over 20 lbs, and the speed using the smaller pulley point was steady around 33.33 rpm overnight. I measured the speed with a strobe tachometer. I was actually surprised to see that first, it could turn the platter and second, that once the speed was adjusted, it stayed pretty true for a long time. Speed ranged from 33.32 to 33.4 which is only a .2% variance. Checked the speed variation over about a 10 minute time frame after being left on overnight.
not bad for $99.
I did find that there has to be minimal tension on the belt for this performance. If the belt tension is too tight, there is motor noise, a slow down in speed and more fluctuation. In fact, if it is too tight, the platter wont start turning at all without a push.
The DIY table is getting closer to completion
Mine too seems to perform reasonably well in terms of speed stability. I use fishing line with the minimum tension required to do the job - keeps things quiet. The platter, sub-platter, and main bearing are from a TD-125 MKI and the platter weighs about 7lbs.

I'd probably not run one of these for 24 hours continuously for any reason other than playing records, I'm not really sure, but at this price I doubt that this is anything but a dc brush motor with a very basic emf sensing servo arrangement. I doubt the useful service life of this motor is going to be more than a thousand hours or so..
Old 16th May 2012, 05:16 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Timaudio Motor - running well for over 3 years

Hi I have had two of these units the old fixed cord one uses a 9 volt motor and is still working after over 3 years. (I play a lot of LP's) The newer unit's run with a 12 volt dc motor and has more torque. I run a two unit T/T sistem and set the units up indervidually to with a strobe to run slightly slow. The contenct both motors up and the speed normally is quite close to 33.3 rmp, just minor in tandum adjustments to get spot on. I leave have both units in the swithched on position and start and start and stop using a seperate switched extentions cord from my power distribution board.
Old 16th June 2012, 04:51 PM   #18
arcorob is offline arcorob  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hello

I am contemplating one of these (the AC version, stepless) but I can;t seem to find out the RPM's on this. I would like to use it as a belt drive under the platter, not around..and withought knowing the RPMS...well...you get it...

Thanks to all in advance...R
Old 16th June 2012, 06:01 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I have one of those (AC) and it drives the whole platter (diameter)
at an appropriate speed. I don't have a worthy strobe system
to see just how fast or slow it might be, but it sounds
correct. It requires that you start the platter rotating
to get it going, but seems to work fine. Shortly, I'll be
putting it to real use, as up to now I've just checked it
out to make sure it worked.

Skip
Old 20th July 2012, 09:12 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default TimAudio, !!!!!

Well my motor finally gave up the ghost after 3 years. Emailed TimAudio about a replacement several times and despite promises of a new motor two months later nothing. So I guess their after sales is not that good, So now will look at fitting a Maxon motor.

Hide this!Advertise here!