my latest iteration of "Nanook's 219 tonearm".. - Page 77 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2014, 10:18 AM   #761
diyAudio Member

thanks Chris - i think ill rub my chin and scratch my head a bit more before i decide between unipivot or SME venture.
Old 9th September 2014, 12:31 AM   #762
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the first of several dumb questions:

How are you guys cleaning the ink out of the ballpoint pen?

A google search only turns up ways to get ink stains out of clothing....
Old 11th September 2014, 08:13 PM   #763
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default removing ink...

penkosey: just cut the refill down or pull the nib off and clean it out using 99% rubbing alcohol and a tooth pick.

DL1000V: plenty good enough for a base. Nothing else is really required.
Old 14th September 2014, 12:12 AM   #764
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the response! I have read this extensive thread and saw that it was suggested to use a solvent to clean the pen--I just didn't know if that would melt the plastic or something, and wasn't sure what to clean it with.

I was wondering about actually cutting the entire pen to the desired size and using it as-is for the pivot holder, since it would be pretty solid. But then I was looking at the plastic cone at the end where the ballpoint sticks out, and wonder if the plastic edge (where the ballpoint tube assembly comes out) might bump or interfere with the set screw.

I'll try to consolidate the other questions I have when I get a chance, so as not to clutter this thread too much.

Old 25th September 2014, 11:28 AM   #765
dl1000v is offline dl1000v  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Nobody building tonearms anymore?

Well, I do!
Made a neat solition for the counterweight en pulled some wires in the arm. Still puzzling what the armbase will be.....
I'm progressing........slowly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250914 001.jpg (326.4 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 250914 002.jpg (341.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 250914 003.jpg (322.0 KB, 139 views)
Old 25th September 2014, 05:00 PM   #766
diyAudio Member

penkosey
Quote:
Originally Posted by penkosey View Post
Thanks for the response! I have read this extensive thread and saw that it was suggested to use a solvent to clean the pen--I just didn't know if that would melt the plastic or something, and wasn't sure what to clean it with.
The actual pen refill is not used (unless it has a metal tube), just the "nib" or ball point and ballpoint holder (on almost all "real" pens these are metal, but some like the ubiquitous BIC and Paper Mates "write bros" stick pens use plastic, these should not be used). If the only suitable thing you can get has a metal "nib", but a plastic tube then it will need to be attached to a piece of metal. The metal nibs are typically maybe a cm or so long.

Quote:
I was wondering about actually cutting the entire pen to the desired size and using it as-is for the pivot holder, since it would be pretty solid. But then I was looking at the plastic cone at the end where the ballpoint sticks out, and wonder if the plastic edge (where the ballpoint tube assembly comes out) might bump or interfere with the set screw.
You could use the pen, but the tube needs to be metal, as above. Then cut the body of the pen shorter by a cm or so , so that the nib end is at least 1 cm from the pen body itself.

Quote:
I'll try to consolidate the other questions I have when I get a chance, so as not to clutter this thread too much.
Don't worry about cluttering this thread. I know it is a little long and some details get lost.

dl1000v:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl1000v View Post
Well, I do!
Made a neat solition for the counterweight and pulled some wires in the arm. Still puzzling what the armbase will be.....
I'm progressing........slowly
What you have looks good. The bigger issue is whether or not you want to attach the armboard to the existing turntable or have it free-standing. It seems like many go for a free-standing mount instead of an armboard.
Old 25th September 2014, 07:40 PM   #767
Jay1234 is offline Jay1234  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Way up North, In Newcastle haven't seen the Sun for days
HI Stew,

In your opinion Which is the best protractor to set up a 12" uni pivot arm with, Iv'e read a little bit about 3 point protractors, (as opposed to a 2 point) but have not found any practical info on them. Do you have any info that might help to make one?

I will over the winter be building a new 319 unipivot using a Bakelite 1.1/4" dis tube that I will cut & shape down to a hexagonal or possibly 5 sided taper ! very retro as a homage to Alfons Mucha.

Lots of details to sort out Not least how to glue or bond Bakelite ?????? Anyone?
Old 25th September 2014, 07:50 PM   #768
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

3-point protractor? If two points are right any point would be right...

Regards
Old 25th September 2014, 09:23 PM   #769
diyAudio Member

Default protractor

I think that Conrad Hoffman's arc protractors work very well and you can make one specifically for the length of your tone am. For me, it seems that no matter how well I think I have the two points aligned there is still variation along the arc. You can download his arc generator at Vinyl Engine or at least you could when I got mine. It's free. YMMV

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1234 View Post
HI Stew,

In your opinion Which is the best protractor to set up a 12" uni pivot arm with, Iv'e read a little bit about 3 point protractors, (as opposed to a 2 point) but have not found any practical info on them. Do you have any info that might help to make one?

I will over the winter be building a new 319 unipivot using a Bakelite 1.1/4" dis tube that I will cut & shape down to a hexagonal or possibly 5 sided taper ! very retro as a homage to Alfons Mucha.

Lots of details to sort out Not least how to glue or bond Bakelite ?????? Anyone?
Old 25th September 2014, 11:48 PM   #770
diyAudio Member

Default gluing bakelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1234 View Post
HI Stew,

Hide this!Advertise here!