How better is a Turntable compared to a CD? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 15th September 2010, 05:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How better is a Turntable compared to a CD?

Most LP's i can get are very old, can they have better quality then a cd?
What about new LP's? I have seen this one of Norah Jones in a LP version,
how better can it sound?

Old 15th September 2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Banned

This is a VERY subjective topic.

If you have a MASTER COPY of a vinyl LP and a BROADCAST QUALITY turntable, with an exceptional PHONO PRE-AMP, then it is possible that you might prefer the VINYL sound to that of a CD player.

OLD VINYL will usually be damaged and will not be at its best. Damaged stylii may well have damaged the original vinyl surface leading to crackles and scratches.

CDs on the other hand are more predictable and even a modest CD player can reproduce reasonable audio from one.

YES, there are HIGH-END CD Players that will cost you 000's of pounds, my ARCAM CD36 is an entry level HIGH-END player at some 3000,

On a budget then look at a Marantz CD63 and have it upgraded.

This will be a surer bet than a LINN LP12 with HIGH-END PSU and TONE-ARM.

However, if money is of no problem, then top quality audio may well come from a HIGH-END turntable.

Old 15th September 2010, 06:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy5112405 View Post
This is a VERY subjective topic.

If you have a MASTER COPY of a vinyl LP and a BROADCAST QUALITY turntable, with an exceptional PHONO PRE-AMP, then it is possible that you might prefer the VINYL sound to that of a CD player.

OLD VINYL will usually be damaged and will not be at its best. Damaged stylii may well have damaged the original vinyl surface leading to crackles and scratches.

CDs on the other hand are more predictable and even a modest CD player can reproduce reasonable audio from one.

YES, there are HIGH-END CD Players that will cost you 000's of pounds, my ARCAM CD36 is an entry level HIGH-END player at some 3000,

On a budget then look at a Marantz CD63 and have it upgraded.

This will be a surer bet than a LINN LP12 with HIGH-END PSU and TONE-ARM.

However, if money is of no problem, then top quality audio may well come from a HIGH-END turntable.

This is very true.....however I've chosen for an SME30 turntable with SME-V arm and a VdH colibri pickup.
This setup with Peter Daniel's pre is simply pulverising all CD players I've auditioned so far and I've listened to some pretty exotic stuff.
'
On the other hand The SME is pretty exotic too and does come with a price tag. Basically buy new mid-size car or a vinyl player.........

Last edited by Tarasque; 15th September 2010 at 06:11 PM.

Old 15th September 2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Banned

I'm not sure if it is common knowledge. MOST manufacturers sell products under a number of different product names.

Philips produce one of the best CD transport systems going, used by some serious HIGH-END manufacturers.

Every manufacturer has to make money by selling, most achieve this with low-end products.

IMHO BMW have ruined their reputatation with the 100 Series, it just does not compare with their executive ranges.

Philips amongst others have separated their low-end ranges from their HIGH-END ranges by giving them a different brand name.

MARANTZ is, or used to be, the HIGH-END of PHILIPS.

Above this is MARANTZ SE (Special Equipment). This is why Marantz equipment is readily upgraded to a VERY HIGH standard at a very reasonable cost.

Samsung produce Fisher. Mitsubishi produce Panasonic.

Last edited by Andy5112405; 15th September 2010 at 06:17 PM.

Old 15th September 2010, 08:30 PM   #5
Banned

In the VINYL world you will always be at the mercy of the VINYL. Vinyl is easily damaged by rubbish equipment.

CD's, despite their hype, are not indestructible, nor are they beyond casual damge. But, treated reasonably, they will remain playable at SUPER-Fi level.

In the CD World, it is not the choice of the medium, but the choice of equipment.

In the VYNYL World it is the choice of the medium AND the choice of equipment.

Old 15th September 2010, 08:35 PM   #6
Banned

I don't want to be sued for libel.

It might be Technics and Panasonic that are related.

Old 15th September 2010, 08:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I guess i won't go into this world of vinyl at the moment...
Thanks guys.

Old 16th September 2010, 12:32 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
Quite a lot of vinyl releases are recorded with less level compression than their cd counterparts, so they retain greater dynamics and can sound much better as a result. If I want something, i'll by it on cd, if i love it, I'll buy it on vinyl.

Old 16th September 2010, 12:47 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy5112405 View Post
In the VINYL world you will always be at the mercy of the VINYL. Vinyl is easily damaged by rubbish equipment.
In the CD world you will always be at the mercy of the Mastering Engineer and the CD loudness wars. You can do things with CD waveforms that you can't with Vinyl.

Like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

A typical CD contains peaks like this:
Click the image to open in full size.

Because of that you are at the mercy of your DAC's overload characteristic and you listen to compressed clipped music free of dynamics. Listen carefully: everything's at the same volume. Even if you turn it up, EVERYTHING'S STILL AT THE SAME VOLUME.

A decent Vinyl LP will make you jump, I never jump with CDs - the dynamics simply aren't there after the music gets out of the compressor on the mastering desk. Some music simply sounds stupid on CD - Kaiser Chiefs etc - the guys get to the crescendo and you can hear the volume deflating as the compressor makes it the same volume as everything else.

Digital should be so good, it should be error corrected 24bit 96kHz. Instead it's an error prone and coarse 16bit 44.1kHz designed for electronics of decades ago. In fact IMO CDs are so bad now people tend to stick with MP3s because they can't notice the difference: With a decent format that may have been different.

Old 16th September 2010, 01:08 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Globulator: You brought up my motivation again for the vinyl world!

I started thinking about that when i saw a good deal on a Thornes TD-160 for about $130 (everything in Israel is so expensive, so that i think it's
a pretty good deal, doesn't it?).

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!