Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 16th September 2010, 12:39 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

There is the option of listening some SACD releases. Most of them are mastered with the quality in mind and there is no comparation with the vinyl noise and (inherent) distortion.

Old 16th September 2010, 12:42 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

rg12,
IMHO, I think you can beat even a good cd player with a modest expenditure in vinyl. CD has its advantages but the dynamics, spacial cues, and detail are pale in comparison to vinyl. There are some very good inexpensive cartridges out there and some seriously good DIY phono preamp designs listed on the forum here to get you well on your way. All can be had for the price of a set of good tires for a midrange car if you spend and build wisely.

Salas has an extremely very good riaa preamp and will support it, but it is pure DIY and you will learn during the build. That was a GREAT experience for me. I see Peter Daniels also has a pcb available and would assume he would help as well.

Old 16th September 2010, 01:10 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGregory View Post
rg12,
IMHO, I think you can beat even a good cd player with a modest expenditure in vinyl. CD has its advantages but the dynamics, spacial cues, and detail are pale in comparison to vinyl. There are some very good inexpensive cartridges out there and some seriously good DIY phono preamp designs listed on the forum here to get you well on your way. All can be had for the price of a set of good tires for a midrange car if you spend and build wisely.

Salas has an extremely very good riaa preamp and will support it, but it is pure DIY and you will learn during the build. That was a GREAT experience for me. I see Peter Daniels also has a pcb available and would assume he would help as well.
What is considered a low price for a good cartridge?

Could you please direct me to places i can find these preamps?
are you talking about schematics or kits?
I don't mind kits, but i really don't have time to start building one
from scratch with a schematic.

What is the cost of a good quality phono preamp?
How is it exactly connected? from the turntable to the phono preamp
and to the aux?
How bad is the built in preamp in the phono connection in a Pioneer
SA-7300 integrated amp?

What about the vinyl constant hiss when playing? does it compensate
so much with the sound quality, that people don't mind it?

Old 16th September 2010, 01:38 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I don't have hiss in my system. unless the vinyl is bad. You CAN find alot of good used vinyl if you check them before you buy.

I have a Denon 103R which is a low ouput MC so a high gain preamp is a must. I built the simplistic that is in this forum. Several people can chime in but a Moving Magnet that I hear alot about is the audio technica. That could plug into you Pioneer phono connection. I don't know about its (the pioneers phono preamp) quality however. I you hear hiss without a turntable playing it probably isn't too good. Peter Daniels system may be a kit, someone need to chime in and comment on this as well. I know the boards are available.

the 103R will be 250US. Audio technica is about the same if not cheaper.
I have several hundred US in my preamp but it is a bit over the top. could be built for alot cheaper. Typically the turbtable is plugged into the phono preamp and then into a line level input on the integrated amp, or the preamp of a seperate system.

Old 16th September 2010, 02:12 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

When you say audio technica, i guess there are many models,
because the seller of the Thornes TD160 i will maybe buy, is selling
the turntable with an audio technica cartridge.

Do cartridges lose their quality over time?

Thanks for the replys so far, you guys are a real help.

Old 16th September 2010, 02:20 AM   #16
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

The best Vinyl played on the best equipment will sound better than the same music on a SACD being played on the best equipment.

All that may change as new HiRez formats and mastering methods are adopted, however as of today, Vinyl can (and often does) smoke CDs.

BTW: We haven't even considered R2R tapes played at 15 or 30 ips, which are far ahead of either!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Old 16th September 2010, 02:30 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

The stylus will wear out over time. SOme can be replaced quite easily and other require cartridge replacement.

Yes there are many audio technica models.

Old 16th September 2010, 07:31 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg12 View Post
Most LP's i can get are very old, can they have better quality then a cd?
What about new LP's? I have seen this one of Norah Jones in a LP version,
how better can it sound?
IMO it can't. Best LP I ever heard was pathetic compared to the best CD. Surface noise, ticks, pops, hole off center, HF mistracking even with really good cartridges, stylus wearout, disc wearout, no bass below 32 Hz. Who would volunteer to use that? Analog is insane.

G

Old 16th September 2010, 07:58 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratus46 View Post
IMO it can't. Best LP I ever heard was pathetic compared to the best CD. Surface noise, ticks, pops, hole off center, HF mistracking even with really good cartridges, stylus wearout, disc wearout, no bass below 32 Hz. Who would volunteer to use that? Analog is insane.

G
Hmm...
I was worried about the thing with the bass...
Very hard to judge with two contradicting opinions like that.

Old 16th September 2010, 08:22 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratus46 View Post

G
Have you ever seen asbestos through a polarized light microscope? In a word it can be beautiful with vivid colors. http://www.inspectapedia.com/sickhou...moliteDF10.jpg The same structure imaged with a scanning electron microscope is just a chunk of stuff. It depends what you are looking for. http://serc.carleton.edu/images/rese...asbestos_3.jpg In the case of vinyl vs CD there is beauty in vinyl and a CD is just paint by numbers.
I have ripped vinyl to 24 X 192 digital. Much of the magic continues to live in the digital realm. Unless you rolling down the road with the windows open compressed CD s suck.
How it is HD video has improved as it has and HD radio sounds like MP3s?
For a decent entry level RIAA equalization network try out this Hagerman Technology LLC: Bugle Opamp Moving Magnet Budget Phonostage DIY Kit .

DT
All just for fun!

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!