Beginner Help: Thorens TD 125 voltage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2010, 09:58 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Beginner Help: Thorens TD 125 voltage

I'm completely new to turntables and am in need of help.

I have just purchased a Thorens TD 125 MK II. The power adapter is american (and I live in australia), so I just want to ensure that the power supply is set up for 230V and not 120V.

I've attached the instructions from the manual for how to carry this out, and also a picture of the circuit in question. I'm unable to follow the instructions and was hoping someone could explain to me in as simple a manner as possible.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (50.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1016.jpg (354.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 13th September 2010, 04:15 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It's all set, I can see that the little 5 x 20mm fuse is installed and that is for 220V operation.

You can either change the plug, use a travel adapter or change the cord set to address the American plug on the line cord.

Note that you should check to make sure that the stroboscope mirror & lens assembly is in the 50Hz position, and that's it.

(I have a TD-125)

If this is an eBay score please check to make sure the electrolytic caps in the drive electronics have all been replaced. (If you can't do this find someone who can.)
This TT is now somewhere around 38yrs old and the caps have deteriorated significantly by now.
Old 15th September 2010, 02:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your help. It is indeed an ebay score, can you please describe how to check if the electrolytic caps have been replaced?
Old 15th September 2010, 03:32 AM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Try to see if you can identify the 4 digit date codes on the caps, otherwise my best advice is to find someone who can look at it and tell you. Mouser or Digikey sell all of the correct oddball values required in axial style construction so that they will fit the board properly.

Hide this!Advertise here!