Sourcing turntable parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Kevin.

I was just looking over your Thorens thread-it's looking great. Was glad to see you hooked up with Steve (User510) as a source of additional info. Check out his web site if you haven't already.

I've got a couple of idlers in the works also-a G301 that's in the queue, while I'm currently working on a Rek-O-Cut (shown). These things have massive motors, it will be interesting to hear how it sounds. I've polished the aluminum plinth and platter, but I'm currently researching how to do engine turning, or jeweling, which I think would look cool. Plus, it has the advantage of adding tons more work to what would otherwise be a relatively simple job. (-:

Checked out your site too-I envy your electronic skills. Keep up the good work.

Many thanks for the kind words.. :D

I'm quite delighted with my TD-124, it would certainly qualify as one of the best purchases I have ever made, and of course I hesitated forever before going and getting it. I bought it for a very good price compared to current market prices, but I just wasn't convinced it was a step in the right direction for me, not ever even having heard one before I got mine going. I've seen many over the years, none in running form at the given times, and this wasn't even the first time I had the opportunity to acquire one. I couldn't of course have been more wrong.. Despite my misgivings it all somehow just turned out to the right thing at the right time.

I ran across Steve's site even before I had the table in my possession. Very informative..

The current Rek-O-Cut looks great, and hardware in some of these tables is really top shelf, the plinths often weren't which is why until a few years ago these tables often went for small change at hamfests and the like. They've always had a following and I have several friends with one or more in rotation..

I'm a lot better at the electronics end of things than I am at wood working or mechanical fabrication, although I am slowly getting better at both.. Mostly learning to be more patient.. :D

Last edited:
Is there an inexpensive source for motors?
Most of my turntables use 25 in belts and so a DC motor would be useful to produce both 33 and 45 rpms.

My late Pink Triangle Anniversary uses this Airpax 120 motor (the 18 105 version) and it looks suspiciously like FunkFirm's current motor too:

Available from Farnell for £50

(confusingly it seems to suggest in one table that it is AC but actually the AC relates to the EM40 servo amp. A later table shows it's 12VDC )

www.mclennan.co.uk seem to be suppliers for Farnell and RS in the UK and they also have the Premotec Rega motor in their product list:

Premotec Turntable Motor 9904 111 31813

Have to make and enquiry via their website to see where you can buy a one-off.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.