Turntables - Cartridge upgrades and Phono Preamps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2010, 03:28 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Turntables - Cartridge upgrades and Phono Preamps

Hey all, not long ago I got myself a used Rega P2 (the one with the glass platter), and with it was the VMS Mk II cartridge.

FOr the equipment I am using, I am impressed with its overall quality (I don't even have a dedicated phono preamp yet, just using the one on my Yamaha 663, and in comparing a recently purchased vinyl to a cd version I have, the vinyl version puts the CD to shame lol).

ANyways I plan on getting a new cartridge kit (as trying to find a spare VMS30 MkII stylus would be next to impossible anyways).

Now what cartridges would be comparable to the VMS30 Mk II? Ortofon 2m Bronze (or any of the other of the 2m series) the 530 MK II/540 Mk II?

I have been readling alot of good things about one of the Denon cartridges, i think 160? The moving coil one. Or even other brands that be comparable (or better) to the VMS30.

Now I was thinking of a 2m Bronze, but am wondering being the cartridge looks taller, do I need those spacers for my tonearm? (RB250)
Old 13th August 2010, 07:15 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofTime View Post
Hey all, not long ago I got myself a used Rega P2 (the one with the glass platter), and with it was the VMS Mk II cartridge.

FOr the equipment I am using, I am impressed with its overall quality (I don't even have a dedicated phono preamp yet, just using the one on my Yamaha 663, and in comparing a recently purchased vinyl to a cd version I have, the vinyl version puts the CD to shame lol).

ANyways I plan on getting a new cartridge kit (as trying to find a spare VMS30 MkII stylus would be next to impossible anyways).

Now what cartridges would be comparable to the VMS30 Mk II? Ortofon 2m Bronze (or any of the other of the 2m series) the 530 MK II/540 Mk II?

I have been readling alot of good things about one of the Denon cartridges, i think 160? The moving coil one. Or even other brands that be comparable (or better) to the VMS30.

Now I was thinking of a 2m Bronze, but am wondering being the cartridge looks taller, do I need those spacers for my tonearm? (RB250)
Go to this site! This guy compares a bunch of carts with the same preamp, and posted full size wave files with the results! So cool that he did that. Will give you a good idea on where to look.

Hi-Fi Cartridge Reviews - Home
Old 16th August 2010, 03:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Check out needledaddy.com and anderson music.com in New Jersey for cartridges and stylus's.
Recently purchased Pfanstiehl stylus for my Ortofon cartridge and a replacement stylus for the Pickering cartridge.
I've been looking into Grado cartridges $60 to $220 and their stylus are $30 to $110 for my Kenwood turntables.
Mike H

Hide this!Advertise here!