Turntables - Cartridge upgrades and Phono Preamps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all, not long ago I got myself a used Rega P2 (the one with the glass platter), and with it was the VMS Mk II cartridge.

FOr the equipment I am using, I am impressed with its overall quality (I don't even have a dedicated phono preamp yet, just using the one on my Yamaha 663, and in comparing a recently purchased vinyl to a cd version I have, the vinyl version puts the CD to shame lol).

ANyways I plan on getting a new cartridge kit (as trying to find a spare VMS30 MkII stylus would be next to impossible anyways).

Now what cartridges would be comparable to the VMS30 Mk II? Ortofon 2m Bronze (or any of the other of the 2m series) the 530 MK II/540 Mk II?

I have been readling alot of good things about one of the Denon cartridges, i think 160? The moving coil one. Or even other brands that be comparable (or better) to the VMS30.

Now I was thinking of a 2m Bronze, but am wondering being the cartridge looks taller, do I need those spacers for my tonearm? (RB250)

Hey all, not long ago I got myself a used Rega P2 (the one with the glass platter), and with it was the VMS Mk II cartridge.

FOr the equipment I am using, I am impressed with its overall quality (I don't even have a dedicated phono preamp yet, just using the one on my Yamaha 663, and in comparing a recently purchased vinyl to a cd version I have, the vinyl version puts the CD to shame lol).

ANyways I plan on getting a new cartridge kit (as trying to find a spare VMS30 MkII stylus would be next to impossible anyways).

Now what cartridges would be comparable to the VMS30 Mk II? Ortofon 2m Bronze (or any of the other of the 2m series) the 530 MK II/540 Mk II?

I have been readling alot of good things about one of the Denon cartridges, i think 160? The moving coil one. Or even other brands that be comparable (or better) to the VMS30.

Now I was thinking of a 2m Bronze, but am wondering being the cartridge looks taller, do I need those spacers for my tonearm? (RB250)
Go to this site! :) This guy compares a bunch of carts with the same preamp, and posted full size wave files with the results! So cool that he did that. Will give you a good idea on where to look.

Hi-Fi Cartridge Reviews - Home

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.