Idler Wheels - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2010, 09:57 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Idler Wheels

Does anyone know of a way to soften rubber that's gone hard with age? The 2 idler pulleys on my RCA / Collaro turntable have not gone rock hard but just hard enough to not drive properly. I dare say any NOS replacements I find will also be old enough to have gone the same way. If not, perhaps I could get them turned down and have a tyre made from softer rubber.
Old 9th August 2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Sounds weird but you can turn many tyres inside out... was done a lot in VCR service (rental only not paying customers)
Old 9th August 2010, 11:33 AM   #3
GTHICM is offline GTHICM  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to GTHICM Send a message via Skype™ to GTHICM
Try these guys for a quality job of rebuilding the idler. Reasonable prices with fresh rubber. Turntable Idler Wheel Rebuilding Services. Turntable Basics. Parts and Accessories for Record Players. Turntable Belts and Idler Wheels.
Old 9th August 2010, 06:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

There is stuff sold to revitalize (give grip to) printer and copier rollers that may work if the rubber is not cracked but just shiny and hard. - I know of two - Re-Grip made by Rawn, and this stuff

If it turns out you need to have it rebuilt I believe the best guy in the US is probably Ed Crockett at Vintage Electronics or if you're in the EU there's this place .in Sweden (Don't know how good they are though.
Old 9th August 2010, 07:02 PM   #5
LAJ is offline LAJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Try Armorall. Not sure if they have that where you are. Its available from many auto parts stores here in the US.
If that doesn't work, try Electronic Parts for VCRs, Guitar Amplfiers, Cassette Decks.** Speaker Repair Kits, Vacuum Tubes, Tools and more! for a replacement.
Old 9th August 2010, 08:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I have emailed a place here in UK that does printing supplies. They have a product called Prima XXX which might be worth a try if I can get a small enough quantity.
Phil
Old 10th August 2010, 06:57 AM   #7
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Never tried this stuff but it's been around for years,
AF(AUTOMATION FACILITIES)|PCL100|PLATEN CLEANER AND RESTORER, 100ML | CPC

have you tried roughing the surface lightly with fine glasspaper as the wheel revolves ?
Old 1st October 2010, 03:06 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have had good results using G.C. Electronics Belt & Drive Non-Slip. It is a a type of resin coating for resurfacing original idler wheels. If you can't deglaze in idler wheel, it won't be able to be done with rubber renew or sand paper, but this coating has worked well for me. I coated the idler wheel while off the turntable, and waited a few days.

www.gcelectronics.com Part # 10-8602
Enter the part # in the search box and it will display details as well as the catalog page link that has the description.

Their Radio TV Service Cement is also a good speaker cone repair cement.
Old 1st October 2010, 04:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

If the idler wheels aren't too far gone, you can usually restore the surface by rubbing briskly with lacquer thinner or acetone. If more aggressive treatment is needed, then it's almost certain that replacement is the only long-term solution.
Old 1st October 2010, 06:42 PM   #10
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default no!, not Armour-All

this stuff should be outlawed in Northern climates

In northern climates, if shipped in winter, it easily freezes which causes a change in the fluid. This change results in a build up or "greying" of the rubber, and can cause the rubber to crack.

GM used to sell a silicon emulsion, to renew weather stripping etc. Another product is "Protectant 303". you can soak the rubber for almost any amount of time, and wipe off the excess. then use some good alcohol to clean the surface of the idler and its drive.

Hide this!Advertise here!