Need help with cartridge and needle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Long story short; I bought an 80's stereo package with tuner, amp, CD player, tape deck, and turntable for $20. It sounds awesome but the turntable is missing the needle. The turntable is a Fisher MT-852. I searched on the net......found NOTHING.

My intention is to replace the needle and make my stereo complete.
More then that.....at the same time upgrade the cartridge and needle with higher quality components. Does anybody have any ideas what kind of cartridge would fit in this thing like on the end of the arm? Then knowing what will fit; what kind I should invest my money in?

Back in 2000 when I was 15 or so, I had a record player and a milk crate full of rock LP's. I listened to the Beatles and The Doors and a bunch more goodies. I confess I have never changed or messed around with that part before.
I appreciate any tips or advice you can offer. Thanks! :eek:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Can you post a link to some information on your TT, that should help with recommendations.. I am uncertain as to whether this unit used a P mount cartridge or a conventional cartridge with 0.5" mounting centers (2 holes in top of head shell?)

Grado makes a number of both styles as does Audio Technica, and others. I suspect that there are much better cartridges out there than the OEM one it was originally equipped with that would work on this table, but need to know a bit more. (Normally I would just search, but this work PC is having serious issues right now.)

Can you post a link to some information on your TT, that should help with recommendations.. I am uncertain as to whether this unit used a P mount cartridge or a conventional cartridge with 0.5" mounting centers (2 holes in top of head shell?

It's a shame. I looked everywhere for details on ANY of my Fisher brand equipment that comes sold in that cabinet package, and I couldn't even find a picture! Not a single lead. Thank goodness I have the paper manuals that the owner saved. At least I have those documents.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi,

Not really if you have better options to replace the whole cartridge.

:cool: /Sreten.

Absolutely agree, and I bought one of those "Red Ed" cartridges on a lark to use on a cheap low end diy turntable project. They're quite decent for the little they cost.

Civic, can you post a picture of the arm and headshell, that would help us a lot in terms of recommendations.

Hi,

Not really if you have better options to replace the whole cartridge.

:cool: /Sreten.

If you mean to replace the whole cartidge and get the elan or ed,I see no point.His existing cartridge may be made by Nagaoka as are the other two.If you mean to buy something better,I second your advice.An audio technica AT95 or a Nagaoka MP110 would do.Good with the Nagaoka is that he can upgrade the stylus in the future to the next models without having to replace the cartridge.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you mean to replace the whole cartidge and get the elan or ed,I see no point.His existing cartridge may be made by Nagaoka as are the other two.If you mean to buy something better,I second your advice.An audio technica AT95 or a Nagaoka MP110 would do.Good with the Nagaoka is that he can upgrade the stylus in the future to the next models without having to replace the cartridge.

I guess we need to see a picture of what he has got first to know the answer to that question..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.