AM Stereo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am curious about AM stereo. Some AM broadcast station claims "Stereo" for its AM. What kind of AM encoding currently used and available? I would like to find receiver/tuner for this.

Previously I heard such as Denon TU-680 and 1500 support this, but now it is no longer produced. One of Marantz tuner available is ST6001, not sure if it support C-Quam. Most product available is receiver (for home audio).

What current brand/type that has AM stereo encoding, and what kind of encoding? Or is AM stereo obsolete, so that few manufacturer create such product?

Thanks,

Ervin L

Can you mention some current AM stereo tuner to compare? (e.g. Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Sherwood, Sony etc)? I can't find detail of information in the website. Just curious if it still exists and affordable (as there are some AM stations which claim as stereo around my region).

Thanks,

Ervin L

I doubt there's any AM stereo tuners in current production, except possibly in some specialized all band all mode communications receiver.

Car radios can have higher performance tuners than most home stereo receivers, because they have to work under more arduous conditions of reception, temperature, and vibration. And auto manufacturers had a captive market, so they weren't forced to make as many cost saving compromises.

Make a list of as many different car and home or portable AM stereo tuners as you can find evidence of, then set up a saved search on eBay. Or contact autowrecking yards and say you're looking for a certain car radio. Of course, if your country uses a different AM band range or station spacing than North America, an imported digital AM tuner may not work so well.

You can only receive what is being broadcast. No US AM stations are now transmitting analog stereo, some are transmitting digital stereo. The digital part of a tuner only works if the station is transmitting a digital signal. The tuner will switch back to analog if the digital signal is too weak. As digital needs a stronger signal than analog.

AM wasteland

Just to understand why AM stereo disappeared, the US AM band is now 99% talk radio. Lots of call in shows where people that can't figure out how to work the internet talk on the air. No benefit to hearing your local self-appointed "expert" on a mono-phone line broadcast in stereo. Pity, I used to enjoy listening to certain classy "clear channel" AM stations late at night all across the nation. KRLD AM Dallas and their classical program is one I particularly miss, as 1/3 the nation is totally "Country Music" and hog market reports on the FM band now. And you can't get satelite radio unless you get a credit card from one of the two too-big-to-fail banks, BankAmerica or Citibank and agree to donate money until they decide to let you go. Oh, well, at least CD's don't melt in the car, although thieves are particularly attracted to them even if they are classical and unsaleable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.