Feasibility Study: Balanced Phono Project - Need help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone. I'm new to the vinyl world. Please be gentle. ;)

Since I've been listening quite a lot through headphones, it is not practical for me to go for something big - like plugging my phones to big amp's phones output. I need something small, simple, with good sound. May be a turntable then a small (RIAA stage + headphone amp) to the phones.

I got an idea when I read about balance system. If I can do it from the front end, It might be good? I 'd love to eleminate all coupling caps and balance system might allow me.

So I begin with the cartridge. it is stereo with 4 pins R RG L LG. I understand that R / RG is the both end of the same coil so the signal on R and RG are perfectly inverted and I can use them for the balance system. The same applies to the Left channel. However, this left me one big question - I need a ground for my balance system and I dont know where it is? Can I use chasis ground as a system ground?

The second question would be the RIAA stage. As I will play around with MC and MM carts, I think I will need both gain stage. I have heard people said MC is good for fet input. and MM is ok for opamp input so I might have fet gain stage for MC (may be something like perl phono) feeding opamp (MM feed directly here) so my system will be like this:-

opamp gain stage > opamp RIAA stage > volume > phones

I dont know what gain should I use for the first stage. For the RIAA stage, what RIAA curve should I use? I mainly pay attention to 80s-90s-present music. What RIAA feedback components should I use according to the curve?

Every comments/thoughts are welcome. :)

I got an idea when I read about balance system. If I can do it from the front end, It might be good? I 'd love to eleminate all coupling caps and balance system might allow me.

So I begin with the cartridge. it is stereo with 4 pins R RG L LG. I understand that R / RG is the both end of the same coil so the signal on R and RG are perfectly inverted and I can use them for the balance system. The same applies to the Left channel. However, this left me one big question - I need a ground for my balance system and I dont know where it is? Can I use chasis ground as a system ground?
:)

The short answer is, yes, you can.

We've been using this approach in all our phono systems since 1989.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.