Rewire Empire 98 tonearm need help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2010, 06:01 AM   #1
WT is offline WT
diyAudio Member

Question Rewire Empire 98 tonearm need help

Dear all,

I would like to rewire my very old Empire 98 tonearm. The problem I have is I don't how to pull out the connection that connect with headshell out. In the attachement in red circle, it seem to have a screw that lock the connector in place but seem like no way to unscrew it.

Any one know about this arm?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg empire arm top.jpg (130.2 KB, 93 views)
Old 24th July 2010, 03:53 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

This looks more like a pin or rivet with a spiral-twist post as is often used in plastics. Cover the tonearm with electrical tape (choice of color is yours!) for protection and ease-out the pin with a pair of old sidecutters. You propably will have difficulties removing the connector though, as it has been in there for a long time
E
Old 27th July 2010, 04:43 AM   #3
WT is offline WT
diyAudio Member

@mickeymoose Thanks you. I try it as you suggest with reasonable force but the pin is not coming out. I afraid of breaking it out, so I guess I will just continue using it.

Thanks again.
Old 27th July 2010, 11:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Anyone else have any suggestions... I've got a couple of old Rec-O-Kut arms that I would love to rewire...similar situation.

Thanks,
Old 27th July 2010, 11:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Gentlemen: Be patient. How long have these pins be in: 20 + years? Inserted into than soft plastic. Mabe a gentle warming with a heatgun/hairdrier will help. Maybe a dab of acetone on the pin-head to be wicked in. Repeat and wait for a while. But you will still need to get the connector out of the tube after that!

Think of it like a screw in hardwood. After 20 years it refuses to let go too! Oh, we had such a good, long relationship! E

Hide this!Advertise here!