Shure M97HE with SAS stylus - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2010, 01:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Shure M97HE with SAS stylus

I have a Shure M97HE phonograph cartridge (with the original stylus) that does not have very much playing time on it. The cartridge was purchased in 1982, and I thought it might be time to replace the stylus, more out of concern that the suspension might have deteriorated rather than that the tip might have worn.

I ordered an SAS stylus for the cartridge, and when the new stylus arrived I compared it with the original on a few favorite records that show deficiencies in phono cartridges quite well. I was somewhat surprised to find that the SAS stylus sounded exactly the same as the original. From my research on the SAS I expected some noticeable improvement, but there was none I could detect. Both the SAS and the Shure sounded excellent on my test records.

This post is not a complaint about the SAS. I have high regard for the Shure cartridge, and a replacement stylus that sounds like the original is a good product in my opinion. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is this a testament to the long life of Shure products, the good quality of the SAS, or both? Has anyone noticed an improvement with the SAS over the original? Please comment.
Old 19th July 2010, 01:30 PM   #2
hags is offline hags  United States
diyAudio Member

I would allow some time for break in before making comparisions.

I would expect the SAS with it's more advanced shape to track much better and to dig out more detail.

VTF is critical with the SAS, and alignment/set up is more critical than with eliptical or conical.
Old 19th July 2010, 01:47 PM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

FWIW to try and tell differences in tip quality try playing only the last
tracks on each side and try and use sides with small lead out grooves.

Even if you can still tell no difference :
This means your elliptical is not worn.
An advanced tip lasts longer than an elliptical and maintains
its performance better than an elliptical over its working life.

e.g. Ortofon's nude ellipticals generally sound better out if the box than
the more expensive equivalent nude Fine Line models, but the FL's last
~ twice as long and maintain performance better than the ellipticals.

Its not always just about apparent sound quality .....

/Sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 19th July 2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 24th July 2010, 02:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The fact that it sounds identical to the original,shows clearly the serious job done by Jico.No other aftermarket stylus has ever achieved this.As hags said allow for a few hours play and after that you will notice some improvements.
Old 25th July 2010, 01:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks to all for your informative replies.

Hide this!Advertise here!