Distortion in Shure V15IV - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2010, 11:04 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

You know what really amazed me about the V15 and the SME arm was It was able to play a badly warped record I had. Every other tonearm catridge combo the stylus would literally get thrown into another groove from the way the record was warped.

The V15 + SME was not only able to stay in the groove, it tracked it near perfect. you were able to watch the stylus hardly even move in the cartridge from the force and this was at .75g. The SME arm was a type III with the fluid damper installed. Without the damper reservoir it was unable to play the record.

Was truly impressive.
Old 19th August 2010, 02:40 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Thanks to all for the replies. I did check the suspension as Panicos suggested, and it was as stiff as a board. My other Shure cartridge from that era, the M97HE, still has a soft and compliant suspension.

I just today ordered a Jico SAS stylus for the V15 Type IV. I am looking forward to trying it out.
Old 19th August 2010, 02:51 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Please let us know if the new stylus softens your suspension. I have a similar cartridge 28 years old and it should begin showing symptoms soon if rubber is the problem.
Old 19th August 2010, 02:58 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

The site seems to be acting a little wonky and did not appear to accept my previous post, so I am trying again. Please excuse if this ends up being a duplicate post.

Thanks to all for the replies. I tested the supension on my V15 Type IV as Panicos suggested, and it was as stiff as a board. My other cartridge from that era, the Shure M97HE, has a suspension that is still soft and compliant.

Just today I ordered a Jico SAS stylus for the V15. I look forward to trying it out.
Old 19th August 2010, 05:35 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Did they stop making the V15 III stylus or something?
I had bought my replacement right from Shure around 4 years ago.
Old 5th September 2010, 01:58 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I received my Jico SAS stylus for the Shure V15 Type IV this week and installed it yesterday. The SAS fit perfectly into the V15 cartridge body. The damper brush does not quite meet the standard of the original Shure stylus, but overall the quality of the SAS seems high.

Jico recommends a tracking force of 1.25g for the SAS, and Shure specifies .75g as the lowest tracking force for the V15. Shure says the damper brush removes .5g , so they recommend setting it .5g higher than the desired VTF. I did not know if the SAS brush acted exactly in the same way as the original Shure, so I set the VTF to 1.25 instead of 1.75.

I mounted the cartridge on a Technics SL-1210 M5G, using the supplied Technics overhang gauge and a protractor from the Hi-Fi News test LP. The Technics turntable has a measured capacitance from cartridge connector to RCA plug of under 70pf for each cable. I connected the TT to an Onkyo receiver with a phono input impedance of 50Kohm (input capacitance not specified). I listened through my ancient but trusty Koss Pro4AA headphones.

In short, this is the best cartridge to which I have listened, and the combination with the Technics turntable seems like a match made in heaven. It tracked every LP I tested with ease, it had a rich sound with plenty of transient response but no annoying treble spike, nice, full bass, good clarity and transparency. And, if it is not obvious, not a trace of the distortion whidh the original stylus produced and which prompted me to begin this thread. Again, thanks to all for the suggestions. I am quite grateful.
Old 5th September 2010, 02:07 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

majerjack, i'd highly recommend buying a scale to set your VTF. I have an older shure one and every turntable i've ever used was not accurate. I've seen some as far off as half a gram at times, especially when you get down around the 1 gram area.
Old 5th September 2010, 03:14 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majerjack View Post
I received my Jico SAS stylus for the Shure V15 Type IV this week and installed it yesterday. The SAS fit perfectly into the V15 cartridge body. The damper brush does not quite meet the standard of the original Shure stylus, but overall the quality of the SAS seems high.

Jico recommends a tracking force of 1.25g for the SAS, and Shure specifies .75g as the lowest tracking force for the V15. Shure says the damper brush removes .5g , so they recommend setting it .5g higher than the desired VTF. I did not know if the SAS brush acted exactly in the same way as the original Shure, so I set the VTF to 1.25 instead of 1.75.

I mounted the cartridge on a Technics SL-1210 M5G, using the supplied Technics overhang gauge and a protractor from the Hi-Fi News test LP. The Technics turntable has a measured capacitance from cartridge connector to RCA plug of under 70pf for each cable. I connected the TT to an Onkyo receiver with a phono input impedance of 50Kohm (input capacitance not specified). I listened through my ancient but trusty Koss Pro4AA headphones.

In short, this is the best cartridge to which I have listened, and the combination with the Technics turntable seems like a match made in heaven. It tracked every LP I tested with ease, it had a rich sound with plenty of transient response but no annoying treble spike, nice, full bass, good clarity and transparency. And, if it is not obvious, not a trace of the distortion whidh the original stylus produced and which prompted me to begin this thread. Again, thanks to all for the suggestions. I am quite grateful.

Now,that's good news.Your stylus will sound even better after a few hours use.It is common to all SAS styluses to track at 1.0-1.5 gr,so this may be a little different than the original stylus.It would be interesting if you try to play it at 1.25 gr and without the brush.Have a listen to it this way,and decide if you need the damping offered by the brush.If yes,try some higher tracking forces with the brush down and see if things are getting even better.
Old 5th September 2010, 05:22 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

tube,

Thanks for the suggestion to buy a VTF gauge. It has been on my list for a while. Is the present-day Shure gauge any good? Or do you recommend another?

Panicos,

Thanks again for your original suggestion to test the Shure stylus compliance. That was the test that decided for me to purchase the SAS, and I'm glad I did. Once I get a VTF gauge, I'll try some more tuning to see what results I can get. Better performance than I get now? That WOULD be something!
Old 5th September 2010, 06:47 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majerjack View Post
tube,

Thanks for the suggestion to buy a VTF gauge. It has been on my list for a while. Is the present-day Shure gauge any good? Or do you recommend another?

Panicos,

Thanks again for your original suggestion to test the Shure stylus compliance. That was the test that decided for me to purchase the SAS, and I'm glad I did. Once I get a VTF gauge, I'll try some more tuning to see what results I can get. Better performance than I get now? That WOULD be something!
Well,I don't know if it will be better,but you have nothing to loose if you try it

Hide this!Advertise here!