Any VOYD gurus out there ?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2010, 02:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Any VOYD gurus out there ??

Hi - I have an lovely old Voyd turntable (circa 1987) with split-phase PSU. This is the one with the large stainless steel on/off switch and the brass plaque on the back saying 'designed by Phillip Voyd". This has been in my attic for many years. I would like to try and resurrect it !

The main prob is lack of power cable between PSU and deck. This appears to be a 6-pin DIN cable - I have been looking around on web and can't find one that looks right. Is there a Voyd expert out there that knows what I mean - is it wired pin-to-pin. THe Helius Orion arm looks as if it may need replacing - how does a SME arm fare on this deck. Is 2 belts better than one ??

I suppose the final question should be - is it worth taking the time and expense to restore this to its former glory or can I get something better and less hassle ?????
Thanks
Old 16th July 2010, 04:44 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

While the name is vaguely familiar I remember nothing about this TT at all unfortunately.

You might want to post a query of this sort to Vinyl Engine..

Vinyl Engine | The Home of the Turntable

Someone there may very well be familiar with this TT. Try a search of their library as well, can't guarantee that there is anything on the Voyd, but there could well be..
Old 31st July 2010, 10:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbear View Post
Hi - I have an lovely old Voyd turntable (circa 1987) with split-phase PSU. This is the one with the large stainless steel on/off switch and the brass plaque on the back saying 'designed by Phillip Voyd". This has been in my attic for many years. I would like to try and resurrect it !

The main prob is lack of power cable between PSU and deck. This appears to be a 6-pin DIN cable - I have been looking around on web and can't find one that looks right. Is there a Voyd expert out there that knows what I mean - is it wired pin-to-pin. THe Helius Orion arm looks as if it may need replacing - how does a SME arm fare on this deck. Is 2 belts better than one ??

I suppose the final question should be - is it worth taking the time and expense to restore this to its former glory or can I get something better and less hassle ?????
Thanks

If it is the one I remember,with the inverted bearing(I think) and acrylic platter like a Pink Triangle,then you have a great turntable there.It was regarded as one of the very best in its time,on a par with Pink,Linn etc.....The Orion was a great arm too.They were a very good match with Empire/Benz MC's.IMO it is worth to restore it.
As for 6-pin DIN ,have a look at FARNELL,they have many in their catalog.

Last edited by Panicos K; 31st July 2010 at 10:18 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!