VinylEngine

Hi Hugo,
it makes no difference, if i use a proxy server i can read it in spanish (yay) but still can't log in.

If you can't log in via the proxy then you may have been excluded. :confused:
It happened to me, apparently for innocently posting a link to another audio forum which is out of favour at VE. (That was my assumption - I was never told why my access was denied.)

Last edited:
Hi,
Sorry, but it's not a bug so there's nothing to fix.

It works like this: the IP addresses of hackers/port scanners/spammers are temporarily redirected to Google and a report made to their ISP. Traffic from known sources of spam is also logged. Repeated attacks result in a permanent ban of the IP range that contains the problem IP addresses. There was always a possibility that this would affect a small percentage of legitimate users whose IP addresses fall within these ranges (especially if you are in a spammer hot spot like Nigeria, Russia, China or India) but it's unavoidable when the ISPs in question don't act on abuse reports. With just me moderating the site in my spare time (it's not a business) it's impossible to deal with the problem any other way. I'm sure that big, commercial sites employ people full time to deal with abuse but owners of small, personal websites like mine don't have that option :(

Again, I'm sorry if you're one of the few affected but this is a problem with your ISP and the idiots they allow to abuse it.

Regards,
JaS

Hi Jas,

Could you let me know why I'm locked out of VE. I've never had any problems over the years but I'm still getting bounced back to Google. I've tried accessing via Safari but I'm getting the same result. If I've done anything wrong could you let me know so I might have the chance to make things right?
Hope to hear back

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jas,

Could you let me know why I'm locked out of VE. I've never had any problems over the years but I'm still getting bounced back to Google. I've tried accessing via Safari but I'm getting the same result. If I've done anything wrong could you let me know so I might have the chance to make things right?
Hope to hear back

Read post # 24 - this probably has something to do with your access issue unfortunately. Perhaps you can use a proxy server to access VE?

There's not much else I can do at the moment as all of the other measures to prevent spammers/hackers have failed. I'm hoping the IP blocks can be lifted when I finish the site rebuild around newer software as it has more intelligent anti-spam/hack features, but I need to make some tough choices about what form the forum/gallery will take in the new site? I could go live with the new system within a few days, but it would be a shame to lose the forum/gallery completely (although it would free up more of my spare time to work on the rest of the site so I haven't ruled it out).

Regards,
JaS

I can access the site just fine, but I can't seem to log in or register a new account. It might be that my ISP is earthlink.net. I think vinylengine.com's registration thingie tries to send the email with username/password, but it never gets through to earthlink webmail.

Is this similar to problems others are having? I'm not sure from what I've read in the previous posts...

thnx

I can access the site just fine, but I can't seem to log in or register a new account. It might be that my ISP is earthlink.net. I think vinylengine.com's registration thingie tries to send the email with username/password, but it never gets through to earthlink webmail.

Is this similar to problems others are having? I'm not sure from what I've read in the previous posts...
Hi,
It's a different problem and one I unfortunately have no control over. If you register with an earthlink email address you'll never get the registration email as they bounce them straight back as potential spam. I did get them to fix this on a couple of occasions but within days they started bouncing them again. They acknowledge that the emails aren't spam and that the site isn't on any list of spam senders, but due to 'security reasons' won't tell me why they are bouncing the emails :hypno2:

If you do a search of Google you'll find it's a common problem...

Earthlink and the devil's spam filter

Earthlink is still at it

Earthlink and 550 Dynamic/zombied/spam IPs blocked

From the VE registration page:

Registration from the following domains WILL fail due to problems with their spam filters routinely rejecting registration emails:

att.net / earthlink.net / sbcglobal.net / bellsouth.net / prodigy.net / pacbell.net / mindspring.com / inbox.ru / mail.ru

If your normal email address is from one of the domains listed above you will have to use an alternative email provider for registration

Regards,
JaS