Is certain phono cartridge could induse hum? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2010, 03:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Is certain phono cartridge could induse hum?

I am using a SME V tonearm with very quiet background when using a VDH Canary phono cartridge. Recently, I changed to VDH Colibri light weight version and the system starts picking up hum. I even have to move the motor below the tonearm (my turntable has 2 motors, one on left and the other on right) to another location to reduce hum. Yet, I cannot eliminate it. Is it possible that certain phono cartridge design can "attract" hum easily?
Old 8th July 2010, 04:48 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Some cartridges are more susceptible to hum pick up than others.. There are two basic mechanisms for this - one is electro-static and is essentially capacitive in nature - this is easily dealt with in most cartridges with a grounded shield around the cartridge generator assembly. (Not all cartridges are electro-statically shielded.) The other is magnetic, and almost no level of shielding will totally eliminate this, some designs are much more susceptible than others based on the design of the generator assembly.
Old 8th July 2010, 04:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I can observe that the Colibri does not have shielding at all and I think this is the reason why it can induse hum.
Old 15th July 2010, 04:28 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You may be able to shield some of the hum sources in your TT. Power wiring can be shielded. Mu metal can be installed above and around the motors.
Old 16th July 2010, 02:17 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The hum I am talking about the Colibri is very minor. For example, the listening level of my preamp is 45 (out of 100) and I can notice hum (1 ft away from the speaker) at 70. I know I'll never turn up the volume to 70 but the fact is - there is hum. When I use my VDH Canary, there is no hum even at 90 although I can hear some sa..sa..sa..sa..

I did try a better cable for the turntable and the change in hum is minor. However, when I plug the turntable power cable to an isolated transformer, I can only denote hum at 90 with my Colibri. I don't think I am going to take the burden of plugging it to the isolated transformer which is 20 ft away from the Hi Fi system.

By the way, what is Mu metal? How can I put them on the motor? Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!