Altering eq of phono stage (mission cyrus)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, Is it possible to alter the eq of a phono stage?

The integrated is the mission cyurs one. The fault is not in this unit, but rather, the rega elys2 phono cartridge on my rega p3 24 table. I have spent $1000's of dollars on cartridges trying to reduce the bass overemphasis on this cartridge. The problem is....I love the sound and presentation of the elys cart, with exception of ponderous, over emphasized electric bass guitar and kick drum. So all the other carts I've tried did not have this problem, but I just didn't enjoy them as much as the elys....SO....It's not the cyrus one amplifier that is the problem, but the phono section is the only thing I can alter that may allow me to keep my current cart/table.

Other details/clues:
1)The bass problem is NOT from speaker placement or anything else.
2)I do not have this over bass emphasis with any CD's.

So, If anyone could help me switch out a resistor or cap to help my situation. I would appreciate

A Paul Kemble web page - Mission Cyrus 1 integrated amplifier.

Since you suspect that the cart lifts the low frequency the correct way (IMO) would be to identify the range that has to be corrected:
1. Get some test records with frequency test bands.
2. Connect the turntable (TT) to the PC with sound card.
3. Use some program to record while TT is playing (Adobe Audition, Audacity or others).
4. Compare captured waveforms. Identify which frequency and by how much (in db) need to be corrected.
5. Build a band filter. BTW if you record the music that does not sound OK originally you can apply filters in audition and burn two WAV files on CD to compare through the sound system.

Actually it might well be that the cartridge compliance does not match the TT's tonearm (even though they are made by the same manufacturer). It might be that the compliance is too low (stiff) for the tonearm which places the low frequency resonance in the sound range. Try to add some weight at the cartridge and see if it changes the result.

thanks Joachim, .47/50v seems just right........I think part of the naim/mission etc reputation for 'pace' and rhythm is because they slightly overemphasize the rhythm section (in the music I listen to, electric bass guitar and kick drum) thereby emphasizing the pace of the music. Dropping that cap from 1uf puts things into a bit more balance, at least in my system and for my ears. Thanks much.

p.s. I also ended up finding an lod shure m97 MKIV cartridge in place of the elys, but in my system, also needed a slight cut in the lower regions, so now VERY happy with my system, set up to listen to 70's rock and metal, mostly european and british.

Mission cyrus one integrated
Rega p3 24 table
Shure m97 IV cart
ADS 570 speakers

I've spent many years and dollars trying to find a system that would play the music I enjoy. Most HIFI is geared towards a different listener preference and so to find a musical, but still earthy sound system to do justice to the great records of the 70's rock metal era (maiden, lizzy, UFO, priest, sabbath, whitesnake, rainbow, Purple etc) -basically anything recorded by MARTIN BIRCH ! - has been a challenge. Very happy with the above system and can recommend to anyone with similar tastes. Most internet chatter regarding gear has been un-helpful in my quest, so someone somewhere may benefit from my lengthy research.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.