Technics SL-1200 Speed Issue - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2010, 03:21 AM   #1
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: "Space Coast" Florida, USA
Default Technics SL-1200 Speed Issue

My SL-1200 turntable speed is going crazy.

I tried cleaning the speed slide switch, but to no avail. Moving the speed selector or changing speeds to 45 RPM does not help, so I am thinking it is the PLL circuit that has a bad component.

Does anyone know where I might find a service manual?

I am hoping that the electronic parts are still available, but many of these types of parts go obsolete, too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 04:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
ashok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 3RS
Try Vinyl Engine | The Home of the Turntable
You have to register to download manuals that you will find under the "library" menu. You can browse around without registering.
Several versions of the SL1200 are mentioned though the service manual for all are not listed. I would guess they all have the same drive system and so any manual for a SL1200 might be good enough.

Cheers.
__________________
AM
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 07:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
I would replace the pitch control potentiometer. In almost all cases, this is the cause of the speed problem!
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 08:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I don't think it's the pitch control pot because that gets switched out when you don't want pitch control. There are two pots, one external and the other internal; only one at a time is used.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 10:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Try replacing the outside slide potmeter.
In 99% it is the cause of the speed problems!
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 03:16 AM   #6
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: "Space Coast" Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 968driver View Post
Try replacing the outside slide potmeter.
In 99% it is the cause of the speed problems!
When you say outside pot, is that the fader or a trimpot inside on a board somewhere?

By the way, is that 968 a P-car?
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 07:30 AM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Hi,
I think the fader is the problem. You could try to open it and clean the carbon tracks and slider contacts very carefully, to see if this has any effect.
Just spraying some contact cleaner in the fader is mostly unsuccesfull.
The 968 is my P cabriolet of 1993.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 07:45 PM   #8
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: "Space Coast" Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 968driver View Post
Hi,
I think the fader is the problem. You could try to open it and clean the carbon tracks and slider contacts very carefully, to see if this has any effect.
Just spraying some contact cleaner in the fader is mostly unsuccesfull.
The 968 is my P cabriolet of 1993.
I sprayed contact cleaner from the top with no change.

I am going to open it up and try substituting a pair of fixed resistors to see if the jitter stops. If that works, then I will order another slide pot.

I'll let you know what I find.

The 968 is a beautiful looking car and the Cab more so.

I have owned just about every 944 derivative (except the 944S2), but never got a 968. Enjoy the drive!
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 08:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Do you have a service manual for the 1200? I think I have one in pdf format and could email it to you if needed.
A lot of 1200's are used in clubs and disco's, and very often some beverage is spilled on these turntables and into the speed control fader, with erratic speed as a result.
I have replaced dozens of those faders (I do this kind of stuff for a living).

There is also a medium power transistor bolted on the inner part of the chassis, on a tiny connecting circuit board. Check the solder pads of this transistor, they may become loose in a rare case.
Also check the main PCB for bad solder pads.
Check if the chassis is dry. Some DJ's play the records wet (spray water on the disc) to avoid static electricity. This ruins the speed pitch fader and eventually also the power transformer of the turntable.

Finally, in a rare case (these turntables are very well build and virtually indestructable), the fault can be in the electronics.
First check power supply voltages.
If you have an oscilloscope, check the quartz oscillator and drive circuits.
You will need the schematic if the fault is in the electronics!


PS:
I very much enjoy the 968, especially on sunny days and open driving. I think the 968 Cab is a design classic, as yet not fully appreciated in general!
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 01:35 AM   #10
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: "Space Coast" Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 968driver View Post
Do you have a service manual for the 1200? I think I have one in pdf format and could email it to you if needed.
A lot of 1200's are used in clubs and disco's, and very often some beverage is spilled on these turntables and into the speed control fader, with erratic speed as a result.
I have replaced dozens of those faders (I do this kind of stuff for a living).

There is also a medium power transistor bolted on the inner part of the chassis, on a tiny connecting circuit board. Check the solder pads of this transistor, they may become loose in a rare case.
Also check the main PCB for bad solder pads.
Check if the chassis is dry. Some DJ's play the records wet (spray water on the disc) to avoid static electricity. This ruins the speed pitch fader and eventually also the power transformer of the turntable.

Finally, in a rare case (these turntables are very well build and virtually indestructable), the fault can be in the electronics.
First check power supply voltages.
If you have an oscilloscope, check the quartz oscillator and drive circuits.
You will need the schematic if the fault is in the electronics!


PS:
I very much enjoy the 968, especially on sunny days and open driving. I think the 968 Cab is a design classic, as yet not fully appreciated in general!
This must be an early table. I can't find a schem for it. The ones I found have a reset switch on the schem that I don't have on my turntable.

I just want to solder a trimpot in place of the slider. If the slider is bad a new trim pot will prove that.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Technics Sl 1200 bearing nimbus24 Analogue Source 10 22nd July 2009 12:27 PM
only right sound from my Technics SL-1200 kollisionseb Analogue Source 3 12th February 2009 11:59 AM
Technics SL-P 1200 NoBit Digital Source 0 18th April 2008 12:28 PM
technics SL 1200 MK3D tonearms flip Analogue Source 4 6th September 2007 02:43 PM
Technics SL-1200 Mk2 pitch control Clark2000 Analogue Source 18 13th August 2003 07:00 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:01 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2