Going to vinyl need opinions. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2010, 01:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Going to vinyl need opinions.

I really didn't want to start a thread like this but my head is spinning with all of the possibilities.
I am in the process of going back to vinyl and will need to construct a head amp and RIAA equilization. I will be using a MC cartridge, however, I am not sure if it will be high or low output. I had a low output Talisman S back in the day and would like to be at that quality level or better today.

What I need is some guidance on what headamp with RIAA equilization to build. I currently have a 12b4 preamp with my OPUS amplifiers into diy 90db sensitive speakers. I can build SS and Valve equipment but would like to minimize SMT as I have a hard time seeing enough to solder them. I can however if need be. I am considering the Ono, Pearl 2 as they are tried and tested. I am very open to other designs, particularly DIY ones as well as long as they have been built and tested. I do have sufficient equipment to test and trouble shoot both SS and Valves.

I do understand that this is a very subjective area but appreciate your opinions.

FYI, my old head amp was a CJ with nuvistors. It worked but could not be tuned very well.
Old 21st June 2010, 10:00 PM   #2
hates ground loops
diyAudio Member

Check out Simplistic NJFET RIAA. It sounds so lovely and is really clever. There's at least three different design for high/low output MM/MC stages. Massive thread.

As for tubes...never having built or heard one, so simply from a theory standpoint, I like Morgan Jones' designs, lots of ECC88. Don't know where to find his designs online, but his book Valve Amplifiers (I have the 2nd edition) is always a good read.
Old 21st June 2010, 10:01 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I understand that there was a tube design published on this site a month or two ago...
Old 22nd June 2010, 01:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have MJ's books and will review his circuits. I did a search on possible designs and there is MANY... Just trying to narrow the field down. Before I dig deep and start reading.

Not sold on tube or SS yet.
Old 22nd June 2010, 01:21 AM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

MJ's circuits are excellent, and a good place to learn how to design one yourself.
Old 22nd June 2010, 01:54 AM   #6
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

MJ.........Michael Jordon ? ...................
Old 22nd June 2010, 02:08 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Morgan Jones.
Old 22nd June 2010, 04:47 AM   #8
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Look here

His Master's Noise: A Thoroughly Modern Tube Phono Preamp

You will be shocked at how sensible and comprehensive this guy's approach is. Even Morgan would be proud.

Bud
Old 22nd June 2010, 05:07 AM   #9
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudP View Post
Look here

His Master's Noise: A Thoroughly Modern Tube Phono Preamp

You will be shocked at how sensible and comprehensive this guy's approach is. Even Morgan would be proud.

Bud
I second that - just make sure you invest in a good input transformer if you plan to use a LOMC (low output MC). I'm learning all about that and what it means to finally have a top of the line TT.. (SME 20/2) I'm currently using vintage Partridge MC transformers, and find them rather nice in comparison to the UTC A-11, A-12, and Newcomb TR-91 none of which are bad with some tweaking.

Getting back into vinyl you might want to consider a good vintage belt drive TT and an SME 3009 Series I or II arm.. These will be quite happy with low compliance and fairly high mass MC cartridges. I recently acquired a Zu/Denon DL-103 which as SY will tell you does not have the lowest equivalent noise resistance, but subjectively is the quietest and most detailed cartridge I have owned in at least the last 10yrs.

Last edited by kevinkr; 22nd June 2010 at 05:09 AM.
Old 22nd June 2010, 06:14 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Getting back into vinyl you might want to consider a good vintage belt drive TT and an SME 3009 Series I or II arm.
You mean something like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DO125II_1.jpg (101.9 KB, 275 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!