de-emphasis in fm tuner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi everyone,

I have question about fm tuner de-emphasis. I have recently obtained (chieply) fm tuner Luxman T-404. Its european model, but I live here in us. In comparison to other tuners I have (technics 9038, SAE T6, JVC tx300, yamaha tx350 and others) this one has european de-emphasis and sounds too bright. Otherwise I believe its a nice tuner. Look inside is very pleasing, all good chips, high quality construction.
I would like to correct its increasing hights with some simple (preferably passive) shelving filter. I do not want to alter anything inside, just in case I decide to sell it later on european ebay. Can any of you come up with simple filter I can insert on its output before signal selector on the active crossover? (I do not use preamp, just buffered line level crossover)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
you mean like this?

Attachments

• de-emp1.JPG
    de-emp1.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 197
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Is this any use ?
American vs European FM (de-emphasis)

the best option is really changing the values within the tuner if at all possible. They shouldn't be to hard to locate with luck.

Remember any "add on" filter you design is already working with what is already there and you will have to ensure the impedances are correctly accounted for.

Here's a typical chip, de emph components R4 and 5 and C11 and 12
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/sanyo/ds_pdf_e/LA3450.pdf

Easy to refit back any changes at a later date.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
For the LA3401 it's the caps marked C14 and 15 here.

Adding a 220pf across each would give 73us... pretty close, or you could take them out and replace with 750 pf.

You could always alter the resistors R1 and R2 as well, at the expense of greater output. 150k would give 76us.
You would have to try that one to make sure there was sufficient headroom for the higher output level.

Attachments

• DeEmp.JPG
    DeEmp.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 218
Joined 2004
Paid Member
done!
it was easy to locate the parts
I ended up soldering it to the caps directly since turning the pcb would be hard
thanks for the help
ed

btw there is clearly a place for the de-emphasis switch and a number of other parts on the board, but its not populated
there is even a place for the noise reduction circuit...but the chip is not there!
ok, I got the lower model

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.